<i>Life of Pi</i> by Yann Martel | Teen Ink

Life of Pi by Yann Martel MAG

August 18, 2015
By Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
293 articles 0 photos 5 comments

Favorite Quote:
"So many books, so little time"


Piscine Molitor Patel is tired of people mispronouncing his name, so when he starts a new school, he changes his name to Pi. He has an interesting life: His father owns a zoo, which is where Pi develops his love for animals and an interest in zoology. It is also where Pi finds his main love, the love of God. Pi loves God in any form He decides to take. And so, during his childhood Pi is known as a devoted Christian, Hindu, and Muslim. Pi, following the words of Bapu Gandhi that all religions are true, just wants to love God.

It is Pi’s father who decides to leave their home in India and sell the zoo for a new life in Canada. They board a boat with their remaining animals. It is most unfortunate that, due to a storm, the boat sinks. Pi is tossed into the sea by the crew but manages to swim to a lifeboat. Pi survives along with the animal his father told him never to get within 100 feet of: a tiger named, oddly enough, Richard Parker.

Tigers are one of the most dangerous animals in the world. They weigh up to 500 pounds and are not afraid of humans. As the only other living thing in a small raft in the middle of the Pacific, Pi does not like his odds. Pi and Richard Parker go through this amazing story of survival and learn to work together, with little chance of a rescue.

Life of Pi is an amazing, critical success. Published in 2001 (after being rejected five times), it won the Man Booker Prize in 2002. In 2012, Life of Pi was made into a movie starring Irrfan Khan (of “Slumdog Millionaire” fame) as the adult Pi.

Yann Martel’s writing is dry, at times confusing, and sometimes downright boring. It makes you reread lines a few times to get even a blurry picture of what is happening. Pi himself is nothing special, but his bravery and hope are what keep you reading.

The story makes you struggle with its credibility. At the end of the book, Pi tells another story, one without Richard Parker, which is more believable. But which is true? That is something the reader must decide. Who is the tiger? Is it Richard Parker, or is it Pi? You choose.

The author's comments:

A Canadian classic!