The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By SomeoneMagical PLATINUM, Durham, New Hampshire
SomeoneMagical PLATINUM, Durham, New Hampshire

Here are a few words I must say before beginning this review: I shocked myself that I was even interested in picking this book up.

I don't know what overcame me in these few seconds--maybe it was an adrenaline rush or a longing for just more books--but the second I saw it, I immediately wished to be sucked up into the world of the book, past the golden mockingjay pin and through the pages.

Now, for the review:

The book was very well written, and Collins's words gave me an adrenaline Rush just as I predicted, soaking me with the images of District 12, and other important figures and places in the book.

The story follows Katniss, a teenager living in District 12, and who is chosen for the Hunger Games completely out of sheer will. Trying to protect her sister, she takes her place in the annual Hunger Games, followed by Peeta, the baker's son.

This book is not what I expected at all. In fact, it is the complete opposite. I'd never really read any books of its genre before; in fact, this was one of my first post-apocalyptic dystopian romance novels that I had ever read, and I would recommend it as a first.

After the first book in the trilogy, The Hunger Games, I was immediately swallowed up by Catching Fire, it's sequel. More intense and serene than its predecessor, more background information on the districts is given throughout the novel. As it it a sequel, there is more apt world building, and Collins's skill strengthens as she continues the trilogy with flying colors.

This is a masterpiece of a novel, written in a flourishing style. As Collins is an amazing writer, she writes with thought-provoking premise and is seemingly flawless as she crafts a world on paper.

This takes some talent. As an aspiring writer, I look up to Collins's writings and hope to write a novel that is as thought provoking as this one. Collins has written an outstanding novel that has the potential to become a classic, and be read by generations to come.

pru5 said...
on Jul. 27 2015 at 9:27 pm
You do some nice writing…."sucked up into the world … past the mocking jay pin". You sure made me know how much you liked the book ! I would like to know more about why you liked it. More about characters or plot or the world she created that you liked. Why did you like it ? Thanks, I enjoyed reading your review.