The Omnivore's Dilemna by Michael Pollan | Teen Ink

The Omnivore's Dilemna by Michael Pollan

By kkuhar BRONZE, APO, Other
kkuhar BRONZE, APO, Other
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Eleanor Roosevelt

In his book, “The Omnivore’s Dilemma,” Michael Pollan endeavors to answer what seems to be a simple question, “What should I eat?” The book goes on for 411 pages, attempting to answer what seems to be a relatively straight forward inquiry. Over the course of several years, he attempts to pursue industrial food chains, organic food chains, and the natural food chains which contribute to our diet today. Taking into account both the physical and psychological implications of the food we eat every day, he seeks to better his understanding of the complexity of our modern food chains. Through research and hands on experience, this non-fiction book encourages the reader to ponder the implications of what we eat and why we eat it.
Following the industrial food chain from a corn field in Iowa to a CAFO (concentrated Animal Feed Operation) to a meal at McDonalds, Pollan explores the power of corn and science. Large scale, unnatural operations cause serious ecological problems as pesticides enter water systems, animal waste and methane pollutes land, and cross country travel leaves copious carbon footprints.  Daring to look deeper into the many processed products we take for granted today, the influence of corn is unmistakable and evident. Pollan ventures through various different systems which feed meat and starch to millions of Americans everyday discovering unsettling and shocking truths behind the food we see in the supermarket. Expansive cattle CAFOs where cows are confined to small pens, pumped with drugs, and sent to the slaughter daily illustrate how industrialization looks only at the amount of money which can be brought in from large amounts of a commodity while ignoring individual animals or natural systems. Cows are fed corn instead of their natural grass to make up for the huge corn surplus while even salmon are being genetically engineered to eat grain.  Distance holds no bearing on where food comes from anymore, and large monocultures around the country-around the world- supply supermarkets. Although this knowledge is important when consciously choosing which kind of food to buy, Pollan doest55t not see this changing what we eat, but rather as a tool to further appreciate what we have.
Searching for a more environmentally friendly method of eating, Pollan then investigates organic farming. A distinction between industrialized organic farming and “beyond-organic” farming soon becomes clear as he travels to farms across the country. A week on small farm in Virginia shows how with highly thought out regimentalization and work can create a sustainable, environmentally friendly, natural food system. By using all parts and benefits of animals and using mutualistic species together this farm is constantly using natural processes to fertilize and clean grasses which are then eaten by the animals. It is a closed, relatively self-sufficient cycle. In stark contrast, other organic farms are just as large as their industrial counterparts, the only difference being that pesticides are not used. The lack of pesticides must be made up for with tilling which damages soils, and more workers. Such products are still shipped long distances, leaving large carbon footprints. Organic animals are just like their normal cousins except for that they are fed by organic grain and have access to fresh air, which most animals never reap the benefit of. A very different picture from the “supermarket pastorals” which describe Betsy’s “peaceful, natural upbringing” these large operations are a point of contention for smaller farmers who feel that it is not really organic, but has been corrupted by money. Pollan makes a meal with organic food which he claims tastes essentially the same as a normal meal, but if better for the mind. Local food is deemed the best type of food, as he makes another meal from the organic Virginian farm he worked on with a clearly more natural, strong flavor. While organic is better for the environment and the conscience, not all organics are made equal, so looking closer at farms is necessary in understanding actual living conditions.
The oldest food system, hunting and gathering, is Pollan’s last study. With the aim of making a meal solely of food which he had a direct hand in retrieving, Pollan embarks on his most personally intense journey. He learns how to hunt and kills a pig, having to deal with the emotional and psychological effects of killing another animal. He then learns how to forage for mushrooms and heads into the woods to collect fungi.  All the while the role of humans in nature becomes a more and more poignant point. Especially the experience of hunting exposes a much more animal side which leads Pollan to philosophize about our urge to try and disguise the violence and exhilaration found in killing animals and appears more civilized. Primordial human nature also makes an appearance as he travels deep into the heart of nature. Along with homegrown or scavenged fruits and vegetables, Pollan is able to create a dinner in which he fully understands the price paid for each component. Acknowledging that this is not a viable way to eat in general, he treats the meal more like a ceremony which is meant to open our eyes to the possibility of being truly responsible for what we eat. It is the concept that is paramount as a reminder for what we as humans often overlook, nature. Pollan feels incredibly proud of himself as he knows exactly what it took to put the meal on the table.
This book is intriguing in the in depth look it takes into systems which the average person does not think twice about. It opens up many avenues of thought that are rarely pondered because of the lack of mainstream media coverage and general knowledge about the subject. Very educational, this book makes the reader think about their choices and their role in a global industry which effects millions of plants, animals, and people. They say knowledge is power, and this book provides insightful information which makes us closely examine our role in the world facilitated by being omnivores and having free will.