Anna Karenina Book review | Teen Ink

Anna Karenina Book review

By Anakaren BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Anakaren BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

Anna karenina Book Review.     AnaKaren P2.

The novel Anna karenina by Leo Tolstoy, published in 1877 begins with the phrase "All happy families are like one another; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." At first you might not know what this has to do with the book, but as you keep reading you come across one of the main characters going through a dilemma, which  explains the second part of the phrase. Oblonsky had an affair with the governess who caused his wife, Dolly to be both infuriated and crestfallen. Although he claims to be remorseful Dolly doesn't want any sort of reconciliation. At this point Anna karenina (Oblonsky's sister) is on her way to Moscow. Anna karenina, wife of Karenin the government official of St Petersburg arrives to her brother's house, and eventually is able to bring Oblonsky and Dolly to a reconciliation.

Levin being one of Oblonsky's long time friends goes to see Kitty and asks for her marriage. Dismally Kitty declines, since she thinks she truly loves Count Vronsky. Kitty invites Anna to the ball, knowing she was with  the Oblonskys. At the ball Anna sees Vronsky once more. For they had originally met at the train station. At the  ball she begins to fall in love with Vronsky, knowing this is wrong she decides to return home with her husband and eight year old son. As Vronsky knew she had left he went after her wanting to have an affair with her. When Kitty finds out Vronsky  left she gets incredibly ill and Levin returns to the country. Anna begins to have an affair with Vronsky after some time, since  he shows his affection towards her. Sometime later, Bronski participates in a military officers' horse race. Although he was an experienced horseman he makes a mistake during the race which causes the horse's death. Karenin (Anna's husband) notices his wife's interest in Vronsky durring the race. Later he asks Anna if she has any sort of interest in him, and she admits to have an affair with him. Karenin is stunned at this point and Anna askes for a divorce, but Karenin  declines. She later reveals she is pregnant to Vronsky and he considers resigning his military post but then he decides not to. It is now when Karenin finds Vronsky at his home where he asked for a divorce and Anna feels so regretful that they decide not to get divorced, but instead she and Vronsky go to Italy where he has a painting get done for her. They eventually return to Russia where adultery is disgraceful. Finally their child is born.

Levin then goes to find kitty and asks for her hand in marriage and this time she accepts. After some time Kitty finds out she is pregnant and they go to Moscow to have the baby there. Anna has a huge fight with Vronsky telling him not to put his mother before her, while he goes to visit his mother in the country. Vronsky tries to be more accommodating  but Anna still is furious. When Vronsky  leaves Anna is crestfallen, so she sends him a telegram telling Vronsky  to come home as soon as possible. And then goes to Dolly to say goodbye and goes home. She finally resolved the issue with Vronsky  and tells him to meet her at the train station after Sees his mother. she gets at the station in an agitated manner, So she throws her self at a train and dies.

Levin, Dolly, and Dolly's children seek shelter from the sudden thunderstorm only to their surprise Kitty and Levin's young son is still outside. Levin runs into the woods and fears the worst but his wife and children are safe for the first time Levin feels love for his son. Levin reflects again that the meaning of his life lies in the good that he can put into it.

I did enjoy the book because it was very interesting although I don't think Anna ending her life would have been the proper way to fix the problem. I would recommend it and I think that the people who would enjoy this type of book would be the ones who like romantic novels with a little suspense.