Identical - Ellen Hopkins | Teen Ink

Identical - Ellen Hopkins

December 29, 2008
By Anonymous

I recently read Ellen Hopkins’s newest book Identical. She’s one of my personal favourites and I love all her books. Identical did not disappoint; in fact it blew me away.
“a secret, listen, it’s true want to hear think think know.”
Identical is about identical twins -- wonder where she got the title -- who both have a series of issues, some more noticeable than others.
Before the accident life was great. The girls often reminisce about their parents and how perfect life had been, how in love their parents were. Now, however post-accident is a different story. Their mom is rarely home and their father resorts to alcohol -- wild turkey.
Raeanne resorts to rebellion by doing drugs, drinking alcohol, puking up everything she eats, sex -- a lot of sex -- and some of her dad’s oxy-cottons. Raeanne’s issues are simple; she’s utterly jealous of the attention her dad gives her rival, Kaeleigh.
Kaeleigh however, seems to be perfect. She’s popular and pretty. As you read on though, you can see that some of Kaeleigh’s issues deeper than even Raeanne’s. Her sister is the only one who knows her secret, but couldn’t care less. After the car crash they’ve rarely spoken. Kaeleigh copes by eating everything in sight. She hides it from her dad who’s obsessed with Kaeleigh and how she presents herself.
I can’t say too much without spoiling it. I’ll tell you this though, it’s an amazing read. Full of excitement and is consistent with Ellen’s unique writing style. It’s twisted and impossible to put down.
I give Identical five out of five. That’s right, a perfect score. This is by far one of my favourites and I recommend it to everyone.