Twilight by Erin Hunter | Teen Ink

Twilight by Erin Hunter

By Ian Lee BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Ian Lee BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

Twilight, by Erin Hunter, is packed with action, passion, and a surge for power may be brewing. The characters of this remarkable book are cats. Do not however, underestimate them because they can hunt, fight, and survive without humans or as they would say “twolegs”. In this story, cats fight for their territories, their feelings, and their ancestors of Starclan. Cats fall in love, kits are born, leaders rise, and somehow it feels too good. Somewhere out there, an enemy lurks, ready to strike. This describes how the cats are adjusting to their new lifestyle. Erin Hunter, author of Twilight, is taking this book past the normal standards.

Firstly, the series, called Warriors, is very intriguing. Starting with titles, to prologues, and even just plain old writing, Hunter always manages to glue the book to your fingers. The cover of the book is also very shiny and will make you see it even in the darkest cave. The artwork is very beautiful. It is not a cut and paste thing that some authors accomplish, she spends her time getting an artist and telling the artist what she wants. The other thing she includes are her reviews, which are usually, or always positive. I cannot stress how much time she seems to put into each and every book that shows it face in Borders.

Secondly, Twilight starts with all the clans as friends and helping each other. The medicine cats, kind of like cat doctors, are overwhelmed with work, scrapes, thorns in the paw, and they are frantically looking for healing herbs. The leaders of the four clans, Thunderclan, Windclan, Shadowclan, Riverclan, are secretly talking about what to do and where to find camps. Meanwhile the medicine cats are thinking about the Moonstone, where they share tongues with Starclan (grooming each other). The leaders decide to send out the four cats that went to the Sun-Drowned Place to go and scout out the land. They end up traveling around the lake and finding a decent place for each of the four clans. Encountering many dangers, they come back with a report. Later, the Windclan leader dies of old age and a new leader is elected. Following that, cats have illegal love, friends betray each other, and trouble is brewing.

Thirdly, Twilight is a masterpiece of art, better than Vincent van Gogh, Leonardo da Vinci, and all those other artists who attempted painting or sculpting. Without opening the cover, it does not look that splendid. However if you bother to flip the pages it will express to you how grand it really is. In my opinion this is a wonderful novel with tons of action and feeling that jabs you in your heart and stays there. While reading the book, I was stunned by how much emotion is communicated in the writing. This book will keep you on the edge of your seat with your heart pacing so frantically that you may need to go to doctor's for a check up.

All in all, Twilight just explodes your mind when reading. Whether it is with action or a serious beginning. Erin always pulls it off with just her style. Always making it seem like you are actually watching it with all the cats hissing and slashing with their claws and teeth. If you ever become the reader of this book you will discover what will happen when you read the book. Not the characters, but you. You will think of your lazy fat cat like nothing before. Instead you might picture a lean, mean, fighting machine in its place. Who knows, you may just let your cat go to become a warrior and battle off other cats or badger. So, I really give this a strong nine out of ten claws, with ten as the greatest.

cats said...
on Oct. 1 2012 at 10:15 am
i love this book i have read all the books and now i am on the series omen of the stars go firestar and brambleclaw

Shsme BRONZE said...
on Dec. 5 2011 at 1:40 am
Shsme BRONZE, Oakland, California

two paws up

on Sep. 5 2011 at 5:02 pm
zadiekatie23 PLATINUM, Rio Rancho, New Mexico

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Very descriptive, very riveting! I've read this book, and I love it too; I love all her books, though I haven't yet read all of them. I'll be sure to, though, since I become attached to the characters and their world.

on Jul. 23 2011 at 11:51 am
Kelly-In-Wonderland GOLD, Westfield, New Jersey
I'm on the forums as Moon-Jay

on Jul. 23 2011 at 9:35 am
Nice job...I've been reading the series for five years now and I just submitted my Teen Ink Erin Hunter Interview. :) Firestar, Firestar!

Aisuu GOLD said...
on Jun. 30 2011 at 6:49 am
Aisuu GOLD, Colleyville, Texas
I love these books!  Started reading them when the second one came out, which was, like, forever ago.  Great review!  I loved the "nine out of ten claws" thing.

on Apr. 25 2011 at 4:55 pm
leaf44 PLATINUM, Rehoboth, Massachusetts

"Truth is stranger than fiction because fiction has to make sense."
"Be careful, or you'll end up in my novel."

I thought it was two authors...

on Apr. 25 2011 at 4:53 pm

I agree with magic-esi, and i have read the books - and they are great, but that's a little much.

on Apr. 25 2011 at 4:50 pm

lol, Absoloutly!

on Apr. 25 2011 at 4:45 pm

I LOVE THIS SERIES!  I thought your review was great, especially the last paragraph.  It is very difficult to talk about these books without making them sound well... really dumb.  You did a great job of it though, better than I did when i tried to explain them to my friends.... They ended up calling them the magical-talking-cat-books... You really have to read them to get them. 

MetallixRose said...
on Feb. 19 2011 at 11:11 am
I love the warrior series!!!!! I LOVE THEM!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

on Jan. 6 2011 at 9:22 am
Dr.Vasilis.W BRONZE, Cambridge, Other

When your friends begin to flatter you on how young you look, it's a sure sign you're getting old.
-MARK TWAIN

twi-hard66 is getting twilight by stephenie meyer, confused with twilight by erin hunter

on Jan. 6 2011 at 9:18 am
Dr.Vasilis.W BRONZE, Cambridge, Other

-MARK TWAIN

i just read night whispers!! amazing!! cant wait till sign of the moon comes out

amazing amazing amazing!!!

on Oct. 21 2010 at 12:48 pm
Vanendra BRONZE, Blasdell, New York

"I just sneezed and it hurt my pelvis."~Jasmine Omg
"A wise girl kisses but doesn't love"~Marylin Monroe
"I didn't tell him nowhere where you live" ~me ^-^
"I like the wolves on this textbook, they have very legs" ~Jasmine Omg

I love this book series <3<3<3<3

on Sep. 25 2010 at 11:48 am
PhoenixGriffin, ---, Texas

"Only two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."~Albert Einstein

I love this book series, but you have a few inaccuracies in your view. First off-were you even reviewing the right book? Starlight is about the cats settling in at the lake, finding the place to speak to StarClan, finding their camps, and WindClan's leader dying. Twilight is about the clans taking their first strides of life in their home, as well as the everlooming threat that a cat has been told by StarClan that she will die, and that a powerful force is massing to mount an attack.

Second, and others have mentioned this, but Erin Hunter is merely a penname. 'She' is composed of Vicky Holmes, Cherith Baldry, and Kate Cary, with Vicky overseeing everything, writing the plots, characters, and some of the books, and Kate and Cherith piecing it together into the books we read.

Third, I understand that you were comparing the actual story with Van Gogh and da Vinci as a piece of art, even though a book and a painting really can't be compared. But when you talk of 'Erin Hunter' telling the artist what she wants, and how the cover is beautiful because that's what she told the artist, you're wrong. Now, you probably wouldn't know this tidbit, but I went to a book-signing of Vicky's, and she said how the cover was nothing like she pictured. She said that she thought of it as a beautiful, gray, stone quarry, not with the oranges and browns the artist chose. So yes, it may be well-done, but this was not Vicky's vision.

Besides that, I think you had a good review. Just remember to keep your facts straight.

P.S. I own every book, and am a huge fan of the series!

on Sep. 18 2010 at 6:40 pm
lswithspunk BRONZE, Opheim, Montana

\"why take life seriously, none of us make it out alive anyway\"
\"censorship is like telling a man he cant have a steak because a baby cant chew it\"--Mark Twain

I love this series i havent read them since fifth grade because i always got made fun of for them but i think im going to start again

on Aug. 27 2010 at 5:34 pm
CruxClaire GOLD, Park Ridge, Illinois

"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
-Mark Twain

I used to read the Warriors books. The last one I read was number two in New Prophecy. I had loved the series and even done lots of online roleplaying about it and made friends that way, but it was twisting out of control and turning into a literary soap opera, so I eventually lost interest. I still love the Original Prophecy and Firestar's Quest, though.

on Jul. 26 2010 at 4:57 am
SonOfApollo GOLD, Katy, Texas

I love these books but i lost track of which one i was on and then all the books blended together and I got confused!!

I think I'll reread them!!!!:D

on Jul. 21 2010 at 6:14 pm
emergingtalent SILVER, Riverton, Utah

Be who you are and say what you feel, Because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind. -Dr. Seuss

Good for you! you won't be dissapointed!!!

on Jul. 21 2010 at 6:13 pm
emergingtalent SILVER, Riverton, Utah

I cry all the time, but almost noo other book holds me this captivated! I cannot wait for Night Whispers to come out!!!!!  =D