The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks | Teen Ink

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks MAG

November 17, 2008
By Anonymous

Set in the 1920s in North Carolina, The Notebook tells a story of young love. Noah and Allie fall for each other one summer, but they come from different worlds where their love is forbidden.

After a 14-year separation, Allie sees the newspaper ad of a young man with a house for sale. She decides to visit him, not knowing why he returned. Noah is shocked but pleased by her visit and welcomes her into his house. After they spend a couple days together, their feelings emerge and they must make some difficult decisions.

Author Nicholas Sparks focuses on the themes of love and choices. As Noah tries to regain what he and Allie once had, she struggles with telling him she’s engaged. But she begins to realize that her feelings for Noah never died.

When her trip ends, Allie must decide whom she loves. “Can you really leave without looking back?” Noah asks. “I don’t know. Probably not,” she replies. With tears running down her face she finally chooses.

The style of The Notebook is similar to Lurlene McDaniel’s books: both use detail that makes you imagine everything as if you were there. Sparks focuses on characters’ thoughts and feelings, unlike McDaniel, who uses more dialogue.

The Notebook is a classic tale of love lost and regained after many years, and is a truly romantic and touching story. This is an amazing book that captures your attention and keeps you guessing what will happen next. You will never want to put it down.



Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 29 comments.


mufasa said...
on Aug. 6 2014 at 5:45 pm
you just got burnnnnnnnnn!!!! hahahaha

on Jun. 4 2012 at 4:17 pm
DreamingOutQuiet SILVER, Round Rock, Texas
7 articles 0 photos 78 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Time and the bell have buried the day,
The black cloud carries the sun away" - Elliot

Oh if life where made of moments, even now and then a bad one. Oh, if life where made of moments then we wouldn't know we had one. - Into the Woods

Im definately not a Nicolas Sparks fan, but this is an awesome review so keep it up, and do your thing.

Lindsey31 GOLD said...
on May. 13 2012 at 9:58 pm
Lindsey31 GOLD, Rockford, Minnesota
11 articles 11 photos 52 comments

Favorite Quote:
LIVE life ~ LAUGH always ~ LOVE lots

I LOVE The Notebook! It's so personal to me. You did a very good review! Feel free to check out my articles as well. (:

on Apr. 21 2012 at 7:53 pm
i_am_so_very_large_and_towering SILVER, Mililani, Hawaii
5 articles 1 photo 114 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Yet what is any ocean but a multitude of drops?"

i love the notebook! you did a great job with the review, too!!!

Kianie GOLD said...
on Mar. 8 2012 at 2:51 pm
Kianie GOLD, Westphalia, Kansas
10 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
"You are the music as the music lasts" - Stevie Wonder

I loved reading this book! It was such a page turner. <3 Good review!

Powla SILVER said...
on Dec. 19 2011 at 12:55 pm
Powla SILVER, PHX, Arizona
8 articles 0 photos 20 comments

Favorite Quote:
You can complain that roses have thorns, or you can rejoice that thorns have roses.
-Ziggy-

did u just realize that this page was for the notebok, not effin justin  beiber? i think ur alil confused miss :D

emily89663 said...
on Oct. 28 2011 at 5:48 pm
i hate justin bieber

emily89663 said...
on Oct. 28 2011 at 5:46 pm
ok do a lot so do any more people

rose mazzoni said...
on Oct. 28 2011 at 5:43 pm
me to i love the notebook

emily89663 said...
on Oct. 28 2011 at 5:21 pm
i love the notebook

MeIsI said...
on Oct. 11 2011 at 3:43 pm
I've read this book and all the things that you are wondering about her "Trip" are true. To me they are but it all depends on your opinion and view of things.

on Apr. 13 2011 at 10:38 pm
BrightBurningCampeador PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon
42 articles 11 photos 333 comments
I saw something that might be a mistake: "When her trip ends" what trip? Are you talking about a literal, physical trip, or a mental trip of the spirit and soul?

on Mar. 24 2011 at 12:48 pm
VKarcich BRONZE, Sterling, Virginia
1 article 0 photos 3 comments
this was a GREAT review, even though i've read this book already redign this review makes me wnt to re-read the book.

AnumK SILVER said...
on Dec. 24 2010 at 6:52 am
AnumK SILVER, Karachi, Other
8 articles 0 photos 38 comments
Simply amazing!! I'm gonna grab this book and can't wait going through it! :P

on Oct. 19 2010 at 7:41 pm
MelMarieexoxo BRONZE, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
When I grow up, and my little girl asks me who my first love was, I don't want to have to pull out the old photo album, I want to be able to point across the room and say 'He's right there' :)

I wanna be the girl he gives his hoodie to wear and cuddles up next to when it's cold, he'll be the one that comes up behind me, wraps his arms around my waist, catches me off guard and whispers... you look beautiful. :)

Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.

I've fallen in love many times... always with you

The most beautiful view is the one I share with you.

Our love could change the orbit of the earth. So, if a meteor ever comes hurtling towards earth with the guarantee of destruction, top scientists may call on us to, well, you know, do it like crazy for the sake of humankind.

Soul-mates are people who bring out the best in you. They are not perfect but are always perfect for you.

Love is a symbol of eternity. It wipes out all sense of time, destroying all memory of a beginning and all fear of an end

Love is only a dirty trick played on us to achieve continuation of the species.

"Accepting" someone means finding beauty in the ugliness, virtues in the flaws. If you cannot do that, then you do not know how to 'accept' someone.

I see your smile, I feel your lips, I anticipate your arms, I expect your heart. I am totally and completely in love with you.

Every time i think of you.. i always get the butterflies in my tummy, my heart starts racing, and my mind starts wondering! Your the only one i want to be with!

For whatever reasons,,you're the best thing that ever happened to me...

Everybody says that hate is a strong word, that you should not use it, but love is a strong word too and people throw it out like it is nothing.

Money, fame and fortune can never compete with u, baby, your all ill ever need!! <3 I love you

i get so excited when i text you and in 30 seconds my phones buzzes and the butterflies get worse when i see your name across the top

Age doesn't matter when you fall in love with someone, what matters is how much you cannot stand being without them.

I'm the girl your ex will hate, I'm the girl your mother will love, And I'm the girl you'll want forever <3

If nothing lasts forever, would you be my NOTHING?

As long as i can make you smile at least once a day my life will be worth while...

Committing your love to someone means losing the chance to experience another's love. So just be sure the person you're committed to deserves your love.

"the longer you wait for something,the more you appreciate it when you get it, because anything worth having is definitely worth waiting for"..^_^

I love this book! I just read it, and, since I love romance novels, it was one of the best books ive read!

on Oct. 19 2010 at 1:03 pm
I'm back!!! hahaha

on Sep. 27 2010 at 10:01 pm
Alice_in_Wonderland GOLD, San Clemente, California
16 articles 0 photos 620 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I could give up, I could stay stuck, or I could move on, So I put one foot front of the other, No no no nothing’s gonna break my stride, “ –David Archuleta (The Other Side of Down)

Wow! Sounds like an amazing book! I totally have to read this book! Have you read the book The Last Song? I haven't but, I've heard it is good.

HaleyHottie said...
on Sep. 5 2010 at 7:31 am
is the wedding book  made into a movie too?

HaleyHottie said...
on Sep. 5 2010 at 7:30 am

OhmyGosh. They have a second book?! Nobody ever told me. Geez. I neeed to get itt.

 


chelsea2224 said...
on Jul. 22 2010 at 1:33 pm
chelsea2224, Lowell, Oregon
0 articles 0 photos 3 comments
amazing!! i made my boyfriend watch this movie with me even though id read the book and watched the movie a hundred time =] anyone read the second book its like a sequel...its called the wedding.. ? anyone read? its totally amazing to!