Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher | Teen Ink

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher MAG

By Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Teenage_Reads ELITE, Halifax, Nova Scotia

"So many books, so little time"

“Why would a dead girl lie? Because she cannot stand up.” – Hanna Baker

Hanna was a normal high school girl who went to class, parties, and out on dates. Yet something as simple as a bad reputation ruined Hanna's life. The snowball effect, as she called it, led her to take her own life – but not without a fight. Every story has a side, and every side has a person. Hanna decided to target the thirteen people who made her do what she did.

Yet the book is not about Hanna, but Clay, who happens to be one of the thirteen Hanna marked as her “killers.” Clay has to go through the agony of listening to Hanna telling him how the twelve others ruined her life, waiting for his turn to come.

Jay Asher is an amazing author. He captures the pain Hanna went through and Clay's pain in hearing it. It could have been confusing going back and forth between Clay and Hanna as narrators, but Asher made it work.

This book proves how you impact other people's lives. Even though Hanna is gone, her message – and the lesson your mom taught you when you were young – remain true: Think before you speak. It could save a life.

I simple loved this book and the message that it betrays.