Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald | Teen Ink

Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

By RossR SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
RossR SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

The American author F. Scott Fitzgerald takes his readers into the 1920’s in his book The Great Gatsby. This book was published in 1925 and became an American classic novel. In it, Fitzgerald brings us into the world of extravagant parties, social upheaval, and romance.

Nick Carraway, the narrator of The Great Gatsby, is a young man who moves to New York to learn the bond business. He becomes fascinated by his next door neighbor, Jay Gatsby. As the novel progresses, Nick learns more about Gatsby and becomes his good friend.

Gatsby lives in the big mansion next door to Nick and is always hosting grand parties every Saturday night, only to lure Daisy Buchanan, Nick’s cousin. The novel revolves around Gatsby and his love for Daisy. The story line is very great and effective.

Gatsby encounters many conflicts throughout the novel. He deals with the constant rumors circulating his name and most of all, the challenge of changing his past. Gastby is determined to get Daisy, and he will do that at any price.

Fitzgerald does a great job bringing readers into the 1920’s. It hits every aspect of the 20s: the city life, lavish parties, extreme wealth, jazz music, and the conflicts. This allows the reader to really become a part of the novel and relate to its characters.

Fitzgerald did a fantastic job using symbolism into the novel. He makes his readers think throughout the novel in what each symbol means. It’s a challenging book to read because of all the symbolism and dialogues, but readers of a high school level will enjoy this novel.

Fitzgerald does a great job adding cliff hangers at the end of his chapters. This is what kept me interested to read more. The jaw-dropping finish at the end is worth reading this novel.

The Great Gatsby has been adapted in six films. The newest movie came out in 2013 starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby, Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway, and Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan. The movie wasn’t as great as the novel.

The Great Gatsby was adapted into a musical in 2012. It was called The Great Gatsby Musical and premiered at the Kings Head Theatre in London. The musical was not good according to Edward Lliffe, a Bargain Theatreland journalist.

The Great Gatsby deserves 5 stars out of 5. If I could, I would reward this book with the Best American Novel of All Time.