Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell | Teen Ink

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

By Leah_Balter BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland
Leah_Balter BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland

Never give up. And most importantly, be true to yourself. Write from your heart, in your own voice, and about what you believe in.

Imagine this: You are a young girl with few friends, you have bright red hair, you’re far from thin, and on top of everything you have a cruel stepfather who will do just about anything to get rid of you. Now picture this: You have a perfect little family in your perfect little home, you have more friends than you want, and your life is just, well, normal. How is it that these incompatible lives can intertwine? Rainbow Rowell, author of Eleanor and Park, creates a story that is so much more than just a book—it is a captivating narrative that takes the reader on a trek about what it means to be young and in love and how to cope with the accompanying differences and obstacles.

Eleanor and Park have polar opposite lives. Eleanor lives with her cruel stepfather, emotionally broken mother, and four siblings in a run-down house that doesn’t even have a door to the bathroom, whereas, Park lives in an attractive, modern house with all amenities- including privacy- with his average American parents and brother. Everything starts on the first day of school. Eleanor enters the bus dressed in her usual attire: a pair of ill-fitting pants, an oversized sweater, and a bright handkerchief tied to her wrist. No one has ever seen Eleanor before, and as she walks down the aisle, people move their books into the once empty seats. This continues until Park, somewhat aggressively, tells her to just sit down next to him. Over time, Eleanor and Park develop a silent, yet romantic and intimate relationship that, even with the ups and downs, blossoms into a bittersweet affection and passion for one another through comic books, music, kissing, and true love.

Rainbow Rowell’s romantic love story is told not through the eyes of just one character, but through the lens of both Eleanor and Park. This method allows for two different interpretations of the same event, creating good plot and character development and conflict. The reader can see how Eleanor and Park love and need each other, but also how they need to overcome certain problems. Park needs to conquer the need to be accepted. He does his best not to care about other people’s opinions, but it is quite obvious that he is uncomfortable. On the other hand, Eleanor couldn’t care less about her popularity—she has bigger problems: her family. If her stepfather were to find out about Park, she would probably get kicked out of her house, as has happened in the past. Eleanor doesn’t tell Park about these problems because she wants Park to be an escape from her horrible family life, not a reminder. Neither Eleanor nor Park want to ruin their relationship, but this, in fact, creates more troubles. Knowing this, as the reader, is very helpful because we know about Eleanor’s problems even though Park doesn’t and vice versa. Knowing more information than the characters is a very powerful tool and it makes Eleanor and Park an even better novel because the reader becomes engaged and wants to just tell both characters what they have to do to fix their problems. It’s truly a piece of artwork to see how the conflicts, unbeknownst to the characters, resolve.

Rainbow Rowell’s writing technique is impeccable. She alternates back and forth between Eleanor and Park’s point of view, making the story very interesting; Eleanor and Park have divergent interpretations of the same situation. One morning, when Eleanor is walking on the bus, she starts giggling like a little schoolgirl when she sees Park. Her face turns bright red as she blushes and tries to contain her laughter. Eleanor describes the situation as “ridiculous,” while Park describes it as “kind of wonderful.” This just shows how Eleanor and Park’s differences create a desirable, yet unexplainable attraction, making for an intriguing love story.

If you are looking for a romantic novel or just a nice, light book to read, Eleanor and Park is perfect. I loved this book from the second I started it and I couldn’t put it down until the last page. Even when I finished, I wanted the book to keep going. One of the best parts of the book is the ending—Rainbow Rowell leaves it open for interpretation for all audiences. Kirkus Reviews said that Eleanor and Park is “Funny, hopeful, foulmouthed, sexy, and tear-jerking, this winning romance will captivate teen and adult readers alike.” This apt description captures the exact essence of the book. Likewise, Courtney Summers, author of This is Not a Test says, “Sweet, gritty, and affecting… Rainbow Rowell has written an unforgettable story about two misfits in love. This debut will find its way into your heart and stay there.” Envision this: your whole life has been a confusing blur, but you have finally found the one person who makes everything seem brighter. You have found Park. You have found Eleanor. You have found love.

on Jan. 29 2015 at 11:42 am
savgrace SILVER, Moline, Illinois

No matter how perfect something is, it may not be right for you anymore.

Reading now. It started off slow, but enjoying it now. Hilarious!

InTheAsylum SILVER, Henrico, Virginia

Writing with a white crayon on white paper is like loving someone who doesn't like you back....It marks but, always invisible

I am definaetly considering this book after reading this!