Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell | Teen Ink

Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell

May 7, 2013
By MariahPotter PLATINUM, Lansing, Michigan
MariahPotter PLATINUM, Lansing, Michigan
39 articles 8 photos 74 comments

Favorite Quote:
“We dream in our waking moments, and walk in our sleep.” -scarlett letter


The one thought in the readers mind throughout this deep and ponderous book is, "You truly don't know what you have, until it's gone." The book takes place during the civil war, and many traumatic and intense feelings are poured over the top not just by the longing over Miss. Scarlett O'Hara's long time lover, Ashley, but also the gruesome and horrific troubles and obstacles Scarlett goes through as she grows up and sees the real world for what it is, being stuck in a war of love and war. In the beginning of the book, she is the heartthrob of every man in the town, except for the one man she loves (Ashley). He pays her no mind as he has a fiance, Miss. Melanie. Melanie is kind, and adores Scarlett, while Scarlett hates the sweet soul for "taking away her Ashley." Scarlett is troubled by her feelings and cannot stand them. The book continues and even after she marries the young Charles Hamilton, becomes a widow, and the war between the North and South approaches, she continues to indulge in her school-girl crush, following, watching, and longing for Ashley, a now married man. She soon discovers a tycoon, who seems to be rather charming and wealthy, named Rhett Butler. Cunning as they come and smooth with his temper, he falls in love with Scarlett just like the boys in her town did. She finds no interest, and continues pointing her heart towards Ashley. But in a desperate attempt to be rich and saved from the life of civil war and blood, she marries Rhett, leaving him overjoyed, but unsatisfied. He buys her all she could want, so she rewarded him with a beautiful daughter, and both are devastated when she's killed in an accident. With nothing left in Scarlett and Rhett's marriage, the couple fall apart, drunk with depression. Following this recent tragedy, Melanie dies, and Scarlett realizes Melly was her only friend. Ashely was now ready to be married again and Scarlett realized she no longer loved him but Rhett. As she returns home from Melanie's death bed, Rhett packed his bags and left her. He left her with the short, and dryly humored phrase, you can come to know and love when you read this time worthy book. I recommend this book to you. I can guarantee your lovey dovey side will be fully satisfied after reading this masterpiece, Gone With The Wind.