the rules of survival by nancy wherlin | Teen Ink

the rules of survival by nancy wherlin

February 21, 2013
By wolverines PLATINUM, Everett, Washington
wolverines PLATINUM, Everett, Washington
40 articles 0 photos 3 comments

They didn’t always have the best life. Imagine your mom putting a knife against your throat just for taking a cookie. Imagine her making you drink alcohol just so you would fall asleep. Imagine her hit you and scratch you in the face for no reason. This might sound impossible but these three kids had to go through it.
Since they were born they were abused not only physically but mentally. Mathew, Callie, and Emmy are trying to escape their mother’s madness. The only key they have is the ones who will comfort them.
This book will make you think will they make it will they survive? This story will make you feel heartbroken, in some parts I had to cry. I felt this was impossible for any mom do this to her child. My reaction when reading this book was like feeling numb. Some nights I stay up reading this book.
Nancy werlin has done it again with a book called the rules of survival. She is an award winning author won Edgar award. She was a graduate of Yale collage. She has other books like Double Helix, Black Mirror, and The Killer’s cousin.

This book clarifies the sorrowful life of three kids from the point of view of Mathew the oldest. Mathew has been tortured more than his sisters. All he cares about is escaping their mom. Murdoch their mom x boyfriend finds out what they’re going through and breaks up with her but that the wrong thing to do. Nikki their mom goes crazy she tries to kill Murdoch or hurt him but she’s only hurting herself. Remember in the end the survivor gets to tell the story.
(Rated “MR” mature readers, rated 5 stars in my opinion)

by muna


The author's comments:
when i read the first page i fell in love with the storey. i recommended it to the kids in my class. some who read it told me they stayed up all night, some said they cried, some said they wish there was a series. i hope the ones who read the book love it.