City of Bones by Cassandra Clare | Teen Ink

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

By volleywoods GOLD, Puxico, Missouri
volleywoods GOLD, Puxico, Missouri

"I took the road less traveled and that made all the difference." ~ Robert Frost

Published in 2007, City of Bones by Cassandra Clare is the first book in The Mortal Instruments Series which spent many weeks atop the New York Times bestsellers list. This is a captivating novel that will grab the reader’s attention from page one and never let go.

Clary Fray has gone through life as any normal child would, attending school and spending time with her best friend, Simon Lewis. However, Clary finds her world turned upside-down when she witnesses a murder at the Pandemonium Club in New York City, a murder that only she seems to be able to see. This is Clary’s first encounter with the mysterious and enticing Jace Wayland, a Shadowhunter.

The Shadowhunters are the sworn protectors of the “mundane” world from the demons that sneak into the human realm from the underworld with the intention to destroy our world. Part human, part angel, the Shadowhunters are granted with special abilities that allow them to fight demons unnoticed by the average human, which brings Clary’s ability to see them a mystery.

In attempts to explain Clary’s ability to see past the Shadowhunter’s glamour (magic that hides the Shadowhunter world from human eyes), Clary embarks on a journey with Jace, who she can’t keep off her mind, in order to find out who or what she truly is. What they discover along the way shakes both their worlds, forever.

City of Bones is an excellent story that gives the reader drama, mystery, action, and romance in a non-stop adventure though the newly created world of Shadowhunters. For those who love a story that is heartfelt and entirely different from anything you have ever experienced, you will not be disappointed.
City of Bones is followed by City of Ashes, City of Glass, City of Fallen Angels, City of Lost Souls, and City of Heavenly Fire. These six books make up The Mortal Instruments Series, only five of which have been published to date. The Mortal Instruments Series is accompanied by The Infernal Devices Series. I highly recommend reading these series together in order of the publication date for the best reading experience.
City of Bones will be hitting theaters in August 2013, giving readers a change to experience their favorite, and least favorite, characters on the big screen. I recommend this book to those who love Twilight, The Hunger Games, Harry Potter, or anyone else who wants to read a brilliant novel.

One of my favorite books of all time, I could not put it down!