The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

By laurenmay123 GOLD, Chico, California
laurenmay123 GOLD, Chico, California

"History doesn't repeat itself. Perhaps it..rhymes."

We all know the story. The bold, but somewhat stubborn girl from a run-down district is forced by the totalitarian government to fight to the death, all the while undergoing the usual teenage problems we all face. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins has truly hit the world by storm. With such a simple, unique plot line and characters layered with personality, the trilogy gives a new name to Young Adult Fiction as well as the Dystopian Future genre.

The book was introduced to me by my sister, and it’d been introduced to her by my mom, and my mom had been introduced to it by her friend. I was a bit skeptical when the book was handed to me; I’m not a huge fan of Dystopian Future, and the hype around the book seemed almost counterfeit. But, nonetheless, I gave it a try.

And, shockingly, I wasn’t disappointed.

Within reading the first few chapters of the book, we get a good sense of this completely unfamiliar setting. District 12, as Collins called it, is a surprisingly believable ‘town’. Collins does a great job of showing the reader the nooks and goings on of the district in a subtle but interesting way, all through the actions of protagonist Katniss Everdeen.

The characters in The Hunger Games are startlingly relatable—who would have thought I’d ever relate to a character so unlike myself, and going through such odds circumstances? It may not be the responses to such circumstances, like Katniss’s dull opinion on her being involved in the Games, but the character interactions that make for such relatable characters. Katniss’s relationship with Peeta, the boy Tribute from District 12, is actually quite complex when brought to the root. Katniss goes through many opinions on the boy throughout the book, but Peeta’s liking for Katniss had always been clear. Their rollercoaster of a relationship, especially during the Games, is fairly interesting, and makes for a fun read.

The fast-paced plot led me to join in on the pattern, recommending the book to two of my friends and even my dad. All of them are really enjoying it and have asked for the second and third books of he trilogy. So, here I am, recommending this book to you, as well.

This series, that I finished within 48 hours, will keep you reading day in and day out. Each page has a new challenge for Katniss to overcome, and the once simple plot evolves into Katniss’s fight to literally save the existing world. If you like books of any kind—or even if you don’t—I recommend reading this book.

The Hunger Games led me into a nonstop reading-mode. I literally read every day for about a week, so I felt like I had no choice but to hopefully share this with everyone.

on May. 20 2012 at 12:10 pm
twilightfan4eva, Sangre Grange, Other

Believe in God

THE HUNGER GAMES make u obsedded with the book!

on May. 20 2012 at 12:09 pm
twilightfan4eva, Sangre Grange, Other

Believe in God

i love th hunger games!<3

on May. 11 2012 at 11:24 am
BekkaGoodwin BRONZE, Haddonfield, New Jersey

"We are so accustomed to disguise ourselves from others that in the end we become disguised to ourselves." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Wow great job on this review! The Hunger Games is an amazing book and I love it sooo much! I'm glad you did too! :)