Divergent by Veronica Roth | Teen Ink

Divergent by Veronica Roth MAG

By MiuBlaze BRONZE, Upper Darby, Pennsylvania
MiuBlaze BRONZE, Upper Darby, Pennsylvania

When I first heard of Divergent by Veronica Roth (and who hasn't? It's a seriously hyped-up book), I didn't think I would like it. I mean, this is Roth's first book, she wrote it in her twenties (which is not too far from 15 – and anything I write should not and will not be hyped by the general public), and it's a dystopian story. Don't get me wrong, I like dystopian novels (Hunger Games, anyone?), but they are being churned out by the second. At some point, you get sick of it. But in this case I was wrong.

The story is set in dystopian Chicago, where society has been split into five factions. In each one, the residents are focused on cultivating one virtue. Candor's is honesty, Abnegation's is selflessness, Dauntless's is bravery, Amity's is being peaceful, and Erudite's is intelligence. On a certain day each year, the 16-year-olds take an aptitude test to see which faction they're best suited for. Then they all choose a faction to live in for the rest of their lives, be it the one their family is in or a different one entirely. Did I mention that there's also a saying that goes “Faction before blood”?

Our main character is Beatrice Prior, who renames herself Tris. Her family is in Abnegation (otherwise known as Stiffs). Tris can't stand being in Abnegation, and I can't really blame her. Because of Abnegation's custom to live a plain life, the poor girl doesn't know what a hamburger is! When she takes the aptitude test (with unexpected results), Tris has to make a tough decision that could change her whole life.

Having finished the book, I can confidently say that Veronica Roth is a talented author. The book is 500 pages, and my initial thought was, Oh boy, this is going to be a long read. But it's such an engrossing story I couldn't put it down.

Tris is a great character. She's devoted enough to her family to consider staying in a faction that she really doesn't want to be in. But she has real flaws, like her stubbornness and occasional selfishness, that have serious consequences. Despite this, Tris is easy to like. She doesn't let fear get the best of her, and she doesn't let jerks push her around.

In other words, you have to read this book. If not because I recommend it, then because there's a movie coming out. And if you don't read the book, you can't compare it to the movie and go on about how the movie left out so many important details, can you? Furthermore, if you think I'm overreacting and that this book is going to stink because it's insanely hyped up, then prove me wrong. Go on, read it! You know you want to.

froggy_al said...
froggy_al, San Diego, California
This is honestly my FAVORITE BOOK.

nikole said...
on Dec. 18 2014 at 9:55 am
Divergent is one of the best books by far! Action packed and some romance. It’s a total package in one! This book is Dystopian. This book is a series with three books and a half. Description and summary of content Divergent is about a young girl who is divergent. Divergent is meaning to be uncontrolled. Being divergent is said to be dangerous and rare. She changes fractions from Abnegation (the unselfish ones) to Dauntless ( the brave ones). She trains from bottom to the top. She begins a romance with one of the head trainers named Four. They do every single thing together. Dauntless begin to be controlled by Erudite ( the smart ones). Tris and Four fight back, but in the mist Tris loses both of her parents and many friends. They get free then leave the city. Evaluation I thought this book was very amazing. All the things you need for a great book is in this one! The book held together very well and had a lot of details throughout the book. Conclusion Divergent is very packed and loving. They care about every single person in the book. Divergent also has a very well written cliff hanger. Who hasn't heard of the book? It's a seriously hyped-up book! In other words, you have to read this book if not, then because there's a movie coming out. And if you don't read the book, you can't compare it to the movie and go on about how the movie left out so many important details, can you? Everyone likes to get mad at a movie for leaving you favorite part out! Know go on, read it! You know you want to.

DruperBryan said...
DruperBryan, Kansas City, Missouri

“Be the change that you wish to see in the world.”

I love books, however I can no longer finish a book... they're all the same now. No one has new and original ideas, and when someone does, there's 12 of them with the same idea. So what's reading about if you can't experience something unique?

midnightwoah said...
midnightwoah, Monett, Missouri

"We accept the love we think we deserve." -Stephen Chbosky

You're completely right- I do want too! Science fiction and dystopias are my favorite (ever read the Gone series by Micheal Grant?) Sadly every library I go to has it held several times