Before I Die by Jenny Downham | Teen Ink

Before I Die by Jenny Downham MAG

By WriterGirl08 PLATINUM, Ghaziabad, Other
WriterGirl08 PLATINUM, Ghaziabad, Other

In my mind, I can climb intricate scaffolds of words to reach the highest ceiling of the cathedral and paint my thoughts. But when I open my mouth, it all collapses.
- Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Tessa is a 16-year-old who has cancer, and the end is near. But she is determined not to die without leaving a bit of herself in the world. She has a to-do list, but does Tessa have enough time left?

A beautiful story about appreciating life while you can, Before I Die may initially appear boring, but as you read it, you actually start to appreciate life – even the tiniest things. Tessa does not approach her illness in the way I would, but Downham manages to suck me in, forcing me to see the situation from the perspective of an angst-ridden teenager who doesn't want to admit she's weak. Tessa wants to do everything – including trying drugs, falling in love, and saying yes to everyone and everything – which eventually lands her in the hospital, but she's still not ready to give up on life.

As Tessa draws closer to death, Downham had me scrolling furiously to read every word. I felt rage and a tumble of emotions as I read like a maniac, tears flowing down my face, but I couldn't stop reading about Tessa and what she does in her last moments. I couldn't stop reading about her desire to see her best friend's baby born. Couldn't stop reading her instructions to everyone she loves. I just cried and sniffled and read on and on to see how it ends. And when it did, I cried even harder, for this book ends in a way that will remain with you forever, as “all moments gather toward the last one.”

The book moved me very much. It's so simple, and yet you reflect upon everything that matters to you, and suddenly, just like that, your priorities change.

on May. 1 2012 at 1:49 am
WriterGirl08 PLATINUM, Ghaziabad, Other

- Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Oh, I'm glad you have decided to read this book! It'll be wroth it for sure!

And thank you!

on Apr. 30 2012 at 11:30 am
JessicaRae7 GOLD, Buffalo, New York

"Music is the air we breathe." ~Molly Rae Berger
"Being sad is a waste of time." ~Molly Rae Berger
"Girls should never be afraid to be smart." - Emma Watson

Before, I was on the fence about reading this. Now I really want to go out and buy the book. Really good!!

on Nov. 14 2011 at 9:52 am
WriterGirl08 PLATINUM, Ghaziabad, Other

- Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Thanks nanyaa :)

Nani said...
on Nov. 4 2011 at 8:54 am
good yaar!!! you must be sooo pround of yourself!!!! keep writing good stuff and mail me your story!!!!

on Nov. 1 2011 at 5:37 am
WriterGirl08 PLATINUM, Ghaziabad, Other

- Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

I'm super glad! :)

WithEyesWideOpen BRONZE, Wayne, Pennsylvania

You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

i love Mary Downingham's work. You just made me excited to read this one too!

on Oct. 30 2011 at 6:40 am
WriterGirl08 PLATINUM, Ghaziabad, Other

- Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Abhishek! Oh man, thanks! :)

ShakeDang said...
on Oct. 30 2011 at 3:39 am

Nice review

:)
Trying this book as soon as i can!

on Oct. 19 2011 at 9:09 am
WriterGirl08 PLATINUM, Ghaziabad, Other

- Isaac Marion, Warm Bodies

Good thing I got you interested then! :)

rachelwilson SILVER, Paris, Tennessee

"I went thirty minutes without seeing something of remebrance to you.. but then again,.. my eyes were closed.." -Rachel Wilson

I am just staring out on this book and your review has got me excited! Thanks.