1984: A Past Warning by George Orwell | Teen Ink

1984: A Past Warning by George Orwell

July 27, 2011
By mymask DIAMOND, Dayton, Ohio
mymask DIAMOND, Dayton, Ohio
64 articles 0 photos 23 comments

Favorite Quote:
Illigitimi non carborundum!

Alea Iacta est!


1984: a past warning

The Best books in the history of literature are the ones that leave an impression upon you after you read them. This impression can be of sadness or of happiness and this is just what George Orwell accomplishes in his novel, 1984.
Just imagine a world where you, yes you, cannot do anything without being watched by the government. You cannot buy certain cans of coffee or books without a voice crackling over a sound system saying: “Mr. or Mrs. (insert your name here) that is unpatriotic, stop it now!” Welcome to the world of 1984, the censoring and the ruling of the government known as Big Brother.
The main character is a man by the name of Winston Smith and is told through the third person with segments in the first person mode. But as the reader reads on, they will find that the novel consists of romance, terror, and betrayal of Winston and his beloved lover, Julia.
Imagine sitting in a dark cellar, a flickering light and no food. Your body is aching, your mind is numb with the thought of: “I am going to die” and you can hear vices about you, whispering to you. At last, the door opens and in enters, your friend, your good friend. You’ve been betrayed. What do you do then? Do you die? You can’t. They won’t let you. Do you not answer their questions? They torture you.
At last, after years of torture, you find yourself in a café, sipping old gin and you hear of victories that Big Brother has obtained. What do you do? Do you cry? Or do you just sit there and drink? This is what Winston does, he sits there and he drinks with only one thought on his mind: He loves Big Brother. This is 1984, the past warning for the future.