The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss | Teen Ink

The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss

June 26, 2011
By Blackmirror SILVER, Charlotte, North Carolina
Blackmirror SILVER, Charlotte, North Carolina
7 articles 0 photos 15 comments

Favorite Quote:
Some quotes I really like:

"Love is composed of a single soul inhabiting two bodies." -Aristotle
"Every man dies. Not every man really lives." -William Wallace
"Sanity is madness put to good use." -George Santayana


I was always a major fan of fantasy. It's just my thing. And I just happened to have nothing to read, as always, when the second book in the Kingkiller Chronicles (The Wise Man's Fear) came out. I must say, Patrick Rothfuss was just brilliant. He is the next big author in the fantasy world.

The Wise Man's Fear is a story that alternates between two points of view. One being in third-person, and describing the events of the present, and the other in first-person, describing the past. This is a continuation of The Name of the Wind, having the main character, Kvothe, tell his story from his point of view. It's amazing to read about Kvothe's many journeys, and you easily find yourself sucked into his world. Throughout the novel, you find yourself connecting to the characters and feeling what they feel. This is what happened to me, and I am amazed at the level that I connect to the characters on.

Rothfuss' style will have your eyes glued to the page and your hands eagerly flipping the pages to see what happens next. This is no ordinary fantasy. There is no pointless quests and irritatingly unneeded drama. Instead, there is very appreciated humor; the right amount of action, in just the right places; true and understandable emotions; passion; and, of course, magic.

The Wise Man's Fear is a magnificent book, from a magnificent New York Time's Bestselling Author. Not a single word is wasted. And one of the best parts is that Rothfuss is able to share his views on common things, abition, failure, success, art, love, and life using Kvothe's own words and emotions. He truly brings Kvothe to life. Kvothe's story is an amazing one, thrilling you with his triumphs over impossible obstacles and conflicting feelings.

The Wise Man's Fear is just amazing, to make an understatement. If you're like me, you'll be sad when it's over. And you'll be pacing back and forth in your room, wondering when the next book will come out. Just as good as the first book, The Wise Man's Fear will leave you itching for more.


The author's comments:
Haha, I was thinking about writing this when I picked up The Wise Man's Fear to reread it. That's why it's so late in being written. Hope it's not too bad.