Holes by Louis Sachar | Teen Ink

Holes by Louis Sachar

In the fiction book Holes by Louis Sachar a teenage boy named Stanley is put in a juvenile camp. At this camp they dig holes supposedly to build character, but the warden is really having them dig for a completely different purpose.

Sachar, an amazing author has written many great books, most of which have won awards. Some books of his are… the Marvin Redpost set, The Wayside School Series, Small Steps, and many more. His writing style is just amazing, particularly the way he uses words. This is especially evident in Holes.

Sachar does a great job in describing his character Stanley Yelnats. He describes Stanley as a teenage boy with the worst luck in the world, and the funny part about it is it's all blamed on his great, great grandfather. Stanley is bullied at school and ignored at home, up until he leaves at least. Stanley gets accused of a crime he didn't commit and then he has to appear in court. Unfortunately, his parents don't have enough money to help him out. He was found guilty and sent to camp Green Lake. This just shows that Stanley Yelnats is a classic loser.

Even if you get off on the wrong track in life, if nothing is going for you, you can't give up. That's one of the messages I received through this book from Louis Sachar. Stanley was in a juvenile camp, and he found a treasure! Although the situation is not very realistic, it completely turned his life around. If you get off to a bad start you don't always need a treasure to help you out. It would get the job done for sure but that's not always what you need. You just need to keep believing in yourself and no matter what you can't give up.
Sachar's writing style in this book is great. It is just such a descriptive book. Everything he talks about he describes so well, it pretty much paints a picture in my mind. “His muscles and hands weren't the only parts of his body that had toughened over the past several weeks. His heart had hardened as well.” Camp Green lake really changed Stanley. Before the time he spent in camp he didn't really care what he did, he acted irresponsibly because it didn't matter to him. After he had paid his visit to the camp he definitely paid more attention to his actions. He become more responsible and more like an adult.
He understands that responsibility that he has and how that everything he does effects somebody or something.

This book is one of my favorite books. I have read it multiple times and I enjoy it book each and every time I read it. Overall I think that this book should be read by everybody at least once. That's how good it is.