Uglies by Scott Westerfeld | Teen Ink

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

This novel demonstrates how hard decisions can be and to no matter what, make the right one. For what can follow the wrong decision may ruin your world along with the people around you. If you love adventure and suspension in books, read on. This book, Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, is the book you are searching for.

Scott brings us to the future where bridges and wall talk and where people can transform themselves by surgery as they reach certain ages. The main character, Tally, travels through Uglyville, Pretty Town, and a mysterious place called the Smoke. To navigate through these places, she must travel through the unruly wilderness where the Rusties (us today) used to live.

Tally Youngblood is an unusual character, but yet someone who contains all the qualities of what we think has in a great heroic story. She is brave, adventurous, daring, and popular. A tiny bit into the story, she meets another girl her age, Shay, and they form a friendship. Shay is very similar to Tally, but is more dangerous; she will do what it takes to get what she wants, even if she gets into a great amount of trouble. Finally, the last important person of this book is relationship. David is a gentle, kind, understanding guy who will take risks to protect the people and area of Smoke.

Basically, the story begins with Tally wanting to become a pretty, where there is no bedtimes, you get whatever you want, whenever you want it, and where you can party all night long. But plans change when she finds herself in a desperate situation. Special Circumstances comes into the picture of Smoke and Tally is left with no friends at all. This is where readers will be drawn in to find out what Tally will do next to free herself of the hole she has dug so deep.

The book, Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the whole three hundred pages with no dragging parts at all. It was wonderful and I read the book in only two days! I was depressed when the book ended and ravenously grabbed the next novel of the series to feed my hunger with more of the story. Scott and his books never have let me or anyone else down with his thrilling, adventures and mysteries, especially Uglies.