Persepolis & Persepolis 2 by Marjane Satrapi | Teen Ink

Persepolis & Persepolis 2 by Marjane Satrapi

By flashsyd1997 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts
flashsyd1997 BRONZE, Cambridge, Massachusetts

"Do what you have to do before you do what you want to do."

5/26/11

Persepolis and Persepolis 2 Book Review
Usually when you think about graphic novels you imagine, an immature boy hunched over with glasses. But that’s the exact opposite of Marjane Satrapi, author of my two favorite books Persepolis, and Persepolis 2.

“The Year of the revolution I had to take Action. So I put my prophetic destiny aside for a while.” Marjane page10. Said the author and main character of Persepolis and Persepolis 2 are graphic novels by Marjane Satrapi as a child. During the time of the Iranian revolution the main character is living in an almost war engulfed community. In a semi- nontraditional house hold with an unconditionally loving family. Then the decision is made for her to be sent away for her safety leaving her alone in a new world and the safety of her family is uncertain.

Persepolis and Persepolis 2 are about Marjane Satrapi’s life and growing up in her non-traditional Muslim family, in a very traditional community. The author details her growing up with Muslim laws that tend to shackle woman and children by restricting many of their actions including the way they dress. And at the same time she is growing up becoming a teenager and trying to find herself.

People most likely either won’t take this book seriously because it’s a graphic novel, or assume it will be a “drag” because of the subject of the plot. But because of its humor and the author’s positive perspective it makes the book an enjoyable page-turner. Personally I loved these books Persepolis created such a vivid plot that I could not put down and rushed to get the second book. I believe in these books so much that I think they should be high school requirements, because of its eclectic view on the 1979 Iranian Revolution.

If your looking for a books that will pull you in, and keep you focused without reading hundreds of pages Persepolis and Persepolis II will do exactly that and more.