A Coal Miner's Bride: the Diary of Anetka Kaminska by Susan Campbell Bartoletti | Teen Ink

A Coal Miner's Bride: the Diary of Anetka Kaminska by Susan Campbell Bartoletti

By julie.church97 BRONZE, Parkersburg, West Virginia
julie.church97 BRONZE, Parkersburg, West Virginia

I think the book A coal Miner’s Bride: the Diary of Anetka Kaminska by: Susan Campbell Bartoletti was a very good book based on love but, had its flaws. The theme of the book was to marry for love, or love grows where you least expect it. I believe the audience was intended for 6-8th grade students, mainly females. The author wrote this book for entertainment as well as some history for it has fake characters but, is about a real time in history.

This book is based on a time in history when immigration to the United States was popular, and immigrants were treated very poorly and were not given the same wags as Americans. I am judging the book by the way it flows, and originality of the plot.

I think the book flows nicely, but the plot and characters are not original and are extremely cliché. The theme is also cliché; love conquers all, is unrealistic and should be used less in books. The setting is slightly more unique to this book, since it mainly takes place in the shanties in a coal mining community. This book is like The Boy in the Striped Pajamas because The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is also based on a real time in history, but has fictional characters.

I think the book A coal Miner’s Bride: the Diary of Anetka Kaminska by: Susan Campbell Bartoletti was a very good book based on love but, had its flaws. It has a cliché plot, characters, and theme but, has a unique setting. It is a book based on a historic time in history but, has fictional characters. All in all I would give this book four out of five stars.

Mrs. Horton said...
Life in Appalachia would makes this a must read for students relating to the historical aspect of coal mining.  Watch out for cynicism...never beneficial in one so young!