The Giver by Lois Lowry | Teen Ink

The Giver by Lois Lowry MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

After reading The Giver, I was left confused and disappointed. It seemed as if it would be interesting, but you can't judge a book by its cover. The contents were dull and predictable. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to any reader seeking a fine piece of literature. It just doesn't suffice.

The Giver is about a young boy named Jonas. He resides in a futuristic society in which each citizen is assigned a job, a spouse, and children. The children are born to mothers who will never get to see them. Trying not to give anymore away, I will only say that Jonas is assigned an important job and is challenged with the release of an innocent child. Jonas is left with the option of leaving his home, job, and family to save the child, or facing the harsh reality of his community and job, and enduring the release of the child.

This book was dreadful. I became more and more dissatisfied with each page. It was a waste of time and hardly made sense. I'll admit, there were a few interesting lines, but far too few to continue reading after the first chapter. Although I finished it, I regret doing so. It was, by far, the worst book I've ever picked up. It proved to be mediocre, no better than what the average person could conceive. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

on Mar. 6 2013 at 11:25 pm
FemmeGeek BRONZE, Tenafly, New Jersey

“Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

I cannot agree with a single sentence in this review.

on Feb. 18 2013 at 9:55 am
Bluetooth13 SILVER, A Town In, Texas

To play a wrong note is insignificant, to play without passion is inexcusable.

~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Oh my goodness! I love this book and recomend to everyonr :)

on Feb. 17 2013 at 1:33 pm
KayleneB BRONZE, Oakfield, New York
I finished this book last year and I thought it was fantastic.  I loved this book all the way up until the end.  This book doesnt have a clear ending.  I had to decide how it was going to end, even though I had no clue how it would end.  Other than that I LOVED the book. 

on Feb. 9 2013 at 5:15 pm
AmarisKade PLATINUM, Rye, New Hampshire
Hey, Bapalapa2! I just finished reading the quartet (yes, there are four books), and I thought it was great. However, I felt the same way you did after I finished the Giver. I looked further and found the other three. After reading those, I felt like the majority of the questions I had were answered and I liked the ending. I think that overall, they're fantastic! By the way, your review was written very well, and I appreciate your thoughts.

on Feb. 5 2013 at 2:26 pm
the_chris_218, Durham, North Carolina
I found The Giver to be really well written, but also very confusing, especially toward the end. At the end a lot of readers find themselves confused. I won't spoil it, but I do think you will find yourself confused at the end of the book, and I think thats how its intended

on Feb. 5 2013 at 2:26 pm
the_chris_218, Durham, North Carolina
I found The Giver to be really well written, but also very confusing, especially toward the end. At the end a lot of readers find themselves confused. I won't spoil it, but I do think you will find yourself confused at the end of the book, and I think that's how its intended

18rabbit283 said...
on Jan. 23 2013 at 3:55 pm
The Giver is my absolute favorite book. I have probably read it ten or more times. I disagree with the review; I thought Lois Lowry did a wonderful job.

lanham32 said...
on Jan. 11 2013 at 1:12 pm
what genre

on Dec. 25 2012 at 12:31 am
What are you talking about I read the book in 5th grade and I understood it and loved it. It was written beautifully.

o......... said...
on Dec. 16 2012 at 2:20 pm
crazy dudes

on Dec. 5 2012 at 9:19 am
kaycee abbett GOLD, Edwards, Missouri
i agree, as such we are reading it in my english class. the book is way confuising and doesnt make sense.

kitties4eva said...
on Dec. 3 2012 at 1:41 pm
i think this book is very mysterious and wicked weird. I   dont really understand this book but i do recommend it too other people

wgwkegjhewh said...
on Dec. 3 2012 at 1:26 pm
The Giver is actually a good book so far.  I am on chapter 4 and it is a very interesting story about a utopian community.

rjjytri said...
on Dec. 3 2012 at 1:22 pm
I liked this book a lot! 

wqhqwbgtqbg said...
on Dec. 3 2012 at 1:20 pm
This book was interesting.  I really liked it because it was an easy read and not hard to follow.  It fits the ages 12 and up

i.e.mikey123 said...
on Dec. 1 2012 at 2:57 pm
i think the book is very good. It's full of philosophy and unanswered questions.This eutopian society as a whole is perfect, but each individual person is not.This society did not choos perfection, but was forced into it.I'd suggest it to anyone who enjoys philosophy and the future.

on Nov. 15 2012 at 9:39 am
I think its a very interesting book to read. I honestly disagree with you because you shouldn't juge a book by its cover. there are also other series of books by this author.

on Nov. 14 2012 at 9:47 am
SharplyDull SILVER, Glenallen, Missouri

"I love mainstream, because hating mainstream is too mainstream."

Ummm, DreamingOutQuiet, if it was not two dimensional, then there would be no way that you could read and understand the true point of the book; how society should not be.

on Nov. 14 2012 at 9:43 am
SharplyDull SILVER, Glenallen, Missouri

Books such as these (e.g. The Anthem, The Fountainhead, and Atlas Shrugged) they are more than just what you read.  Its a philisophical rollercoaster.  You delve into the contents and form you opinion of the matter.  The ending and even the contents are not the main point.  It is someones philosophy and ideals; put into a book form.  Some people write books for others to enjoy, and others write books for themselves to enjoy; and others to learn from.

CammyS SILVER said...
on Nov. 10 2012 at 7:23 am
CammyS SILVER, Papillion, Nebraska

No passion in the world is equal to the passion to alter someone else's draft.
H. G. Wells
Don't say the old lady screamed. Bring her on and let her scream.
Mark Twain

Well, everyone is intitled to their own opinion, but I thought the Giver was one of the best books I ever read. I loved how I had to read it over and over (since I do that anyway) and each time I read I discovered something I hadn't seen before. And I personally loved the unanswered questions. They made me think after the book, which is a lot more fun than just saying "well, the book's done. they told us absolutely everything there is to know, so let's go read another one!" p.s we sort of find out what happens to Jonas in The Messenger