Cirque Du Freak: Vampire Mountain | Teen Ink

Cirque Du Freak: Vampire Mountain

Cirque Du Freak: Vampire Mountain
By: Darren Shan, Little, Brown and Company,2003, 195 pages, Book Four
$7.99, ISBN:978-1-413-17390-1

Reviewed by: James Thompson, Grade 7
Cuthbertson Middle School, Waxhaw,NC,USA

Darren Shan has just gotten back from his dangerous journey, in a faraway city that resulted in many deaths. His regular life at the Cirque Du Freak has once again started, when suddenly Mr.Crepsley says: “Pack your bags, we leave for Vampire Mountain tomorrow.(1)” Darren and Mr.Crepsley set off for Vampire Mountain, to present themselves to the vampire council. They are forced by Mr.Tiny to bring along things called the Little People. Darren, Mr.Crepsley, and the Little People meet an old friend named Gavner Purl on the trek to Vampire Mountain and become friends with wolves. Darren gets into many dangerous encounters, but finally makes it to Vampire Mountain with Mr.Crepsley and only one little person. They explore Vampire Mountain a little before they are judged by the council. The council makes a very shocking decision for Darren and Mr.Crepsley that could end up in death!

The author of Cirque Du Freak:Vampire Mountain is Darren Shan, whose real name is Darren O‘ Shaughnessy. Movies, TV shows, books, comics, dreams, and things in real life inspire his stories. Also the fact that he was born directly across from the river from the Houses of Parliament in Westminster,England, inspire his vampire stories. At age fourteen he got his first typewriter, and at age seventeen he wrote his first novel. Darren Shan’s writing style is descriptive horror. An example of this from the book is when Darren jammed a bone into a bear’s neck, and the bear stood painfully until it died.

I thought that this book was excellent. The theme of perseverance fit the book because Darren never gave up on anything he did. An example of this is when Darren fought Arra Sails and lost, but said, “I’ll get up on the bars and fight you till’ I win!(160)” Another theme that fit the book was forgiveness. An example of this from the book is when Mr.Crepsley told the council that he blooded Darren when he wasn’t supposed to, but Paris Skyle said, “This vampire of noble standing and his assistant have come before us in good faith to seek our approval. Whether we grant it or not, they deserve to be heard politely.(178)” Also the author includes good dialogue to describe characters like, “He is bright and brave and wily and honest.(183)” and “She won’t go easy on you-Arra doesn’t know how to take things easy.(149)” I felt that the author wanted to show the reader that you should never give up on anyone or yourself. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who like action-packed books with a good message behind the story-line.

on Jun. 26 2012 at 3:19 am
If you want to buy real estate, you would have to get the mortgage loans. Furthermore, my mother always takes a financial loan, which seems to be the most fast.

dahliac187 said...
on Apr. 2 2010 at 9:47 pm
I think that this was a wonderful summary of the book and I want to read it. yah 

angelthomp said...
on Apr. 2 2010 at 9:28 pm
Very concise summary.  You did an excellent job with oyour summary and although the title wouldn't immediately appeal to me, you made it approachable.

YKelly said...
on Mar. 26 2010 at 9:43 am
What an excellent short summary of the book.  It appears the book holds the readers attention and has a deeper message understood through the eyes of a teenager.  Good job!