Looking for Alaska by John Green | Teen Ink

Looking for Alaska by John Green MAG

Have you ever felt like you were trapped in a labyrinth? In Looking for Alaska, Miles Halter, a young man with a unique talent for remembering famous last words, has come from Florida to attend boarding school. He hopes to find something that will add some edge to his life. This edge comes in the form of a girl.

When he arrives, he meets his roommate, the Colonel, who is a bit of a nerd. Then there is Alaska, the one person who Miles feels has all he needs: smarts, looks, and morals. As they become friends, he is the one she talks to if she has a problem. Soon Miles finds himself in a labyrinth of his own.

John Green describes a very real situation in this thrilling tragedy. I think this is the most believable and grabbing book I have ever read. Green creates many different personalities, from the prep with a hair obsession, to Miles with his talent for remembering last words. Alaska also catches me off guard as Green blends her ditzy and smart sides perfectly.

Some sections may be slow but Green picks up the momentum every few pages. This book is a must-read for anyone who loves suspense and tragedy. I give this book a great big thumbs up. Pick it up next time you want to be thrilled to the max.

kaleejoy BRONZE, Franklin Furnace, Ohio

If you don't like to read, you haven't found the right book. -J.K. Rowling

Mary stood there in the doorway for a while, looking out at the dripping world as if she found it beautiful. -Dorothy M. Johnson

John Green is fantastic.   Enough said.

on Aug. 18 2011 at 2:17 am
BeckoningLovely GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

"I think our favorite quotes say more about us than the people we are quoting," John Green

NERDFIGHTER FTW! DFTBA!

moonlight12 said...
moonlight12, Sweetwater, New Jersey
I am very surprised on how much i love this book.  i couldn't believe it.  it is just a wonderful book

on Dec. 1 2010 at 8:29 am
juhneen_6 SILVER, Pellston, Michigan

the only thing we fear is fear its self

me too, the picture kind of made me think it was about actual Alaska, borrrring, but i really got into it and changed my opinion about it fast.

on Dec. 1 2010 at 8:27 am
juhneen_6 SILVER, Pellston, Michigan

the only thing we fear is fear its self

one of mine too, and im hard to impress

kysh15 said...
kysh15, Edmonds, Washington
one of my top ten favorite books.... and thats pretty hard to do

ChangedForever, WW, New Jersey

If there is a book that you want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, you must be the one to write it.
-Toni Morrison

i preferred "an abundance of kathrines" because the mood was a little lighter, but there is no denying that Alaska deserved every award it got.  

Amna.T. said...
on Feb. 28 2010 at 11:15 am
Amna.T., Birmingham, Other

"What the is that?"
"It's my fox hat."
"Your fox hat?"
"Yeah, Pudge. My fox hat."
"Why are you wearing your fox hat?"
"Because no one can catch the fox."

— John Green (Looking for Alaska)

THIS IS THE MOST AMAZING BOOK EVERRR

ConnorBB said...
on Jan. 24 2010 at 3:47 am
Yes I adored this book. I thought it was very sad but a great book nonetheless

Diabetic_Wonder GOLD, Michigan Center, Michigan

"You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is better than your dreams" ---- Dr. Seuss

i agree with this completely. i saw the book and thought "naw, sounds stupid!" but once i actually read it, i fell in love and qualify it as one of the best books i've read.

WOW1 said...
I LOVE LFA and John Green. NERDFIGHTERS FTW

sofia123 said...
This book was amazing! I am doing a project on it right now as i type this and I am actually enjoying myself. Looking for Alaska is a great coming-of-age story that will grab reader's attention and take them on a wonderful journey.

on Apr. 29 2009 at 3:36 am
AlexxisRoxxanne SILVER, San Diego, California

Why should I fear death? If death is, I am not. If I am, death is not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do? - Epicurus

Nice article :).

I read this book awhile ago and I loved it so much! I hope people read your review and decide to read the book because it's most definitely worth it!

swimmer4l12 said...
on Nov. 17 2008 at 12:27 am
Thanks for this article. I really think I'm going to read this book now.

BebbiBee said...
on Oct. 24 2008 at 12:58 am
I really loved this book. Normally, I prefer fantasy and science fiction to realistic fiction but Looking for Alaska was definitely an exception.