The Wave | Teen Ink

The Wave MAG

TheWave by Todd Strasser is a wonderful book that is different from anyother I have ever read. The story begins when a schoolteacher, Mr. Ross,shows a Nazi movie and the class asks many questions he is unable toanswer. In trying to address their questions, he conducts an experimentwith his class that goes terribly wrong.

My favorite aspect ofthis book is that it is based on a true story. The Wave is very easy tofollow, yet the story is based on a concept that is challenging to themind. While reading it you will occasionally have to stop and thinkabout what is going on, and the reality of the situation hitshome.

As I read The Wave, I tried to picture these eventshappening at my school. I related the characters to kids I know, whichmade it fun to read.

People sometimes say they were unable to puta book down. This was definitely true for me with The Wave. I had toread it for my literature class, but I constantly read ahead because Iwas so interested.

The only downfall of this book is that it endstoo abruptly. When Mr. Ross ends the experiment, the plot takes aviolent twist. I think that if Strasser had made more of an attempt toexplain the end of the experiment I would have enjoyed the book evenmore.

I recommend The Wave to high school students and facultybecause I believe they could relate strongly to the events that happenand would find it very interesting.

i love this !

on Apr. 14 2011 at 6:56 pm
MaliyahP. SILVER, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

There are pirate ships and steam ships but the best ship of all is friendship.

Just curioius as to what the expirement was?