The Great War: American Front | Teen Ink

The Great War: American Front MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

   While some may not be familiar with the genre of alternate history, those who are willrecognize Harry Turtledove's name. Long hailed as its master, this is the bestwork yet in his Great War series. The first, The Great War: American Front, is anexcellent novel about what might have happened if events had played outdifferently.

The story takes place during 1914 in an America where theConfederate states won their independence from the United States during the Warof Secession. The fragile peace between the two nations is shattered when anAustrian archduke is assassinated, and Europe erupts into war.

The UnitedStates, allied with Imperial Germany, once again finds itself embroiled in abitter struggle against the Confederacy and the Canadians, who are allied withBritain and France. Each side's confidence is quickly shattered as armies bogdown on all fronts, and the war becomes one of gruesomeattrition.

Turtledove brilliantly portrays the emotions and views of manyrealistic characters. He shows just how delicate the timeline is and how even asingle distant event can have massive repercussions. I recommend this bookespecially to those who, like me, enjoy history and pondering what might havebeen.