The Summer I Turned Pretty By Jenny Han | Teen Ink

The Summer I Turned Pretty By Jenny Han

By TaylorReed27 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
TaylorReed27 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

“The air tasted just the same, smelled just the same. The wind making my hair feel sticky, the salty sea breeze, all of it felt just right. Like it had been waiting for me to get there”. That is a quote from the book The Summer I Turned Pretty. I would entirely recommend this book, especially for people who have a passion for a great book that has romance, fun, friendships, and lots of emotion. Take a trip to Cousins Beach with Belly and her family. 

Isabelle Conklin also known as Belly lives for summer. All winter she is just looking forward to summer. Since she was born Belly left everything behind and traveled to Cousins Beach, with her older brother Steven, and her mother Laurel. The summer house is owned by her mother's best friend, Susannah Fisher. Susannah has two sons named Jeremiah and Conrad. The beach house is what's important to Belly. She thinks about summer all year round. But this summer just seems to be different. This summer is the first time that the boys notice her as something more than just a little sister. Belly has had a crush on Conrad since she was 10, and she is hoping that he will finally like her back. But then one day she meets a guy named Cam, he is super sweet and flirty. However, Conrad is still the one who possesses Belly’s heart. 

Jenny Han conceived an astonishing book that conveys a lot of emotion from the characters. All of the characters hold their unique personalities. I liked how the personalities were very different from each other. Susannah and Jeremiah are charming and bubbly; whereas, Conrad is very mysterious and quiet. The friendships and love between the characters make this book even more entertaining. The characters' emotions are represented very well; for instance, it affects the reader's emotions. The emotions were always changing throughout the whole book. It keeps the reader very interested. 

When reading this book the reader will never want to stop reading. There is an amazing storyline; hence the cliffhangers are unbearable. Jenny Han created a book that is very deep and suspenseful. It is such an interesting and relatable book. It talks about the struggles of being a teenage girl and a girl trying to find herself. When the reader reads this book they will feel so connected to Belly and what she is going through. The reader feels they are watching Belly grow up. 

Jenny Han created an amazing book that many people love. I would 100% recommend reading this book. It is filled with romance, fun, friendships, and many emotions. By reading more and more Belly finally finds who she is. At the end of this book, there is a twist about Susannah Fisher, that will lead the reader to feeling sad or angry but then very eager to read the next two books in the set. Every summer belly goes to Cousins Beach the air tastes and smells just the same and she believes it's like it has been waiting for her to get there. This book ends up being the perfect summer novel and the reader can join Belly on all of her adventures in Cousins Beach. 

This book is one of my all-time favorites.