A Good Girl's Guide to Murder | Teen Ink

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder

By 5kaminski BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin
5kaminski BRONZE, Sussex, Wisconsin

Murder investigation. Not what you would typically think about doing for a school project. But that's exactly what Pippa Fitze-Amoeba does, in A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder.

Five years ago, Andy Bell was murdered by her boyfriend Sal who then committed suicide. Or so everyone thought. Everyone in town believed this story, until Pip. For years Sals house became the murder house—the house people would dare each other to run up and touch. But Pip decided to change that. Pip's determined self was going to figure out what really happened the night of the murder. But what she didn't realize was that this town was full of many secrets.  

Pip's character evolves greatly throughout this book. She starts as a shy junior in high school and ends with so much confidence that she doesn’t even know what to do with it. 

On her journey of discovering what happened, Pip ran into bullies, drug dealers, and blackmailers. It's these kinds of things that change a person. “I don't even know what's right anymore. Everything is so muddled, I'm not sure I'm even the good girl I thought I was, I've lost her along the way”. But it's all for the investigation, right? But that's not even the end. 

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson is exactly what you would expect it to be. Threatening notes, chases through the woods, and ghost stories around a campfire. Don't forget the jaw dropping plot twist at the end.

Jackson immerses the reader in Pip’s thought process by including logs, phone calls, and her long list of suspects, creating an easy, fast read. Also, by including many things like social media and your standard teenage drama, this book is modern and very relatable to teens today.

This book was fast paced, intriguing, and never lost my attention. This is exactly what teens are looking for in a good murder mystery book.