The Candy House Book Review | Teen Ink

The Candy House Book Review

May 5, 2023
By Anonymous

The Candy House by Jennifer Egan is in a series of other books. Many of the characters appear in the other stories but at different parts of their life. The book can be read together with The Candy House is A Visit From the Goon Squad. or it could be read separately since it features some of the same characters. I chose this book because I thought it was cool how I was able to relate it to today's day and age where online privacy is a growing issue.


The book is about the future where technology and the internet greatly impact the lives of people. The candy house is code for a drug house. A tech entrepreneur named Bix presents his technology called “Own your unconscious” which helps people access the memories that they are looking for. They are also able to share their memories with other people. While it seems like a good concept on the surface, it clearly ends up in a disaster for memories that should have been forgotten. 


The author Jennifer Egan tries to teach us how we should be more protective of what we do online. We should be more aware of the information and pictures that are left out for people and the public to see. Also, One of the themes that I found in the book is how larger companies can collect data and information about people's personalities and feelings through internet surveillance. You can relate this to when Facebook leaked hundreds of millions of people's personal information like their names, phone number, and locations. 


Overall I think that “The Candy House” was a good book and I liked how you can relate it to today’s day and age where social media privacy is a growing issue. One thing I don't like about the book is how you can get lost in some parts because it skips in-between time a lot. I would recommend the book to anyone that is interested in technology and is a high-level reader.