Beautiful Boy Book Review | Teen Ink

Beautiful Boy Book Review

Beautiful Boy, By David Sheff, captures teenage drug abuse in an excellent (but sad) way, while doing this it is being shown through one of the main characters Davids, (Nic's dad's) eyes. 

Nic is a very intelligent kid with a lot to see in his future, in high school he does the “normal” things such as a little drinking and occasionally smoking pot, but little did he know that this was a gateway to something way worse to come. Nic had a very successful life growing up while being on the honor roll for school and having lots of friends. Nic then begins to lead a life of self destruction and depression. He does things such as steal money from his 5-year-old brother, going on day benders, and hurting those he loves most for the rest of his life. 

The way this book is written is very descriptive and it is seen through Nics fathers eyes, so it gives readers a sense what it is like to deal with substance abuse first hand. This book is really great at displaying addiction firsthand and givinges the readers a sense of what addiction really is. This book is based on a true story and gives real life examples of how this is a difficult situation. like Throughout this book they give statistics of methamphetamine abusers (and show that really only less than 1 % of users can get over their addiction and quit). Being told this can really drop your heart, especially for Nics dad who is doing everything he can to try and heal his son. 

The author uses lots of flashbacks to show how such a normal person with such a happy life can go down such a dark path. Throughout the book, they show Nic down in the trenches holding on, and then the author will flashback to when he was ten. He was living a carefree life just surfing and hanging out with friends daily, not a care in the world. When they go back to present time it draws the reader in and shows how such a carefree life can turn into something horrible. 

This is a written memoir book, since it was written so well, with lots of details it was later made into a movie with Steve Carell playing the dad and Timothee Chalamet playing Nic. 

Overall I’d say this is a book that everyone should read once they get to the age to do so, it grabs your attention and makes you feel like you're in the characters' shoes, making you feel every heart-wrenching emotion they feel.

My name is