Honey bee book review | Teen Ink

Honey bee book review

By leolu BRONZE, Colorado Spring, Colorado
leolu BRONZE, Colorado Spring, Colorado

Honeybee, written by Naomi Shihab Nye, who was born to a Palestinian father and an American mother. She is a novelist, poet, and songwriter, currently living in San Antonio, Texas. She was elected a Chancellor of the Academy of American Poets in 2010.

Honeybee is a collection of poems and short stories. It contain normal criticizing and short poems, however, short novels are not limited to poems. They are basically like diaries, telling short stories. For this book, i do not suggest readers to read this book, especially to the reader that is looking for interesting and big range of plot to look at this book. Honeybee is basically a book for primary school student who should focusing on building their language. But, the content and thinking of the author is extraordinary, his mind is so clear about what is happening right now in this world “ a president who does not do everything he can stop the war”( p92, Broken) As we can see, the author is criticizing and being sarcastic to the president.

Some of these poems have purpose and indication behind them, and some are just poems with beautifully written words.“Man in a bucket, examining high light repairing wires nibbled by a squirrel” (p51 Pollen) This poem uses a beautiful word to put this scene into live, the working of man seems so real in front of the reader, but there is no purpose and reality achievement behind it. The collection is delightful, combining the joys of observation with deeper themes of war, immigration, and climate change. The poems are brought to life by the author through vivid imagery. When the author describes the forest, you feel like you’re in the forest, listening to the birds, streams, and rivers. ”Here the rose stay on the branch, till the sun steams its petals, like blackened collar”(p30 Password) From this quote, i can literally imagine how nice when suns shine down on the flower, the petals slowly opened shaping like a collar.

“ No candidates is worth for US” (p138, Campaigning door to door). This line perfectly shows what the situation in the US is like, and the author is trying to be sarcastic about the federal government associations who have many restrictions on voting.  However, these poems do not always make any sense. Readers cannot fully understand the poem’s purpose. Also, there are barely any connections between each poem. Bees are mentioned throughout the whole book. My guess is the author is trying to use bee to represent someone or some types of things, so it is a metaphor of not directly saying what that thing is. But from the reader's perspective which is kind of confusing. For me I can only guess instead of knowing the purpose directly. This collection of poems leaves the reader wondering, is the author mentioning bees just to fit the title of this book? A potential answer for this is, the author is trying to make this topic to be sweet for the target audience who are mostly children. This book title explains this whole poem collection will be about HoneyBee, so it also can be an indirect indication.

Leo Lu, I am born in China. Currently, I study in the States. I have been studying English as a second language for 8 years. My favorite hobby is reading books during my spare time.