The Nightingale: review | Teen Ink

The Nightingale: review

July 18, 2022
By s123 GOLD, Randolph, New Jersey
s123 GOLD, Randolph, New Jersey
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
you are a woman with a man inside watching a woman. you are your own voyeur -margaret atwood


\This WWII book follows the lives of two sisters, Vianne and Isabel. For years, they barely saw each other or their father after the mother’s death. But now, as the war draws closer to home, the very different sisters are forced to reconnect and each play a part in the war. Vianne’s husband gets drafted and eventually captured as the war starts to turn against the French, and she and her daughter have to deal with a soldier at their home. Isabel gets kicked out of (another) school and learns that she wants to be part of the resistance movement, much to Vianne’s dismay. As the Holocaust starts taking effect, the sisters are once again separated and left to contend with different issues: Vianne, with surviving an occupied France and Isabel, who becomes a famed rebel to the Nazis. This book is a very accurate portrayal of French resistance and the way citizens played a critical part in the war. The author showed how women were affected by the war in a very interesting and sad way. The writing was, at times, a little too dramatic and predictable. Personally I could not find myself too attached to the characters or the storyline, but it is still an interesting book.