Book Review for | Teen Ink

Book Review for

Greek myths have been the main precursors for many fictional tales. Virtually all contemporary gods, heroes, and monsters can trace their origins to or closely resemble Greek divine beings. Moreover, works of contemporary literature and film that receive critical acclaim are often described as “epic,” a word that comes from the Greek word for song and that was used to define a specific genre of classical storytelling. The story of Achilles at the battle of Troy, for instance, remains one of the most eminent tales of Greek heroes. Embellishing the text with insightful modern language, Madeline Miller, author of this book, manages to compose an eye-catching tale that pays homage to the classical source and brings it into the modern world.

Here is the backstory. Achilles’s father is a Greek King named Peleus, and his mother is a sea nymph named Thetis. A prophecy claims that he will be one of the strongest heroes ever. Endeavoring to make him a god, Thetis attempts to separate him from other mortals and ingrains him with arrogance; however, her plan is interrupted when Achilles befriends an exiled prince named Patroclus. Together, they visit Chiron (a centaur) and learn lessons from him. During that period, Achilles finds himself the best fighter, Aristos Achaion (a Greek term meaning the strongest Greek), while Patroclus masters the skill of medicine. Reaching adulthood, both realize that they hold affection for each other. Thetis again tries to separate them, but she fails. One day, Achilles is asked to join a war against the city of Troy. Its ruler has stolen a wife from Agamemnon, a prestigious Greek king. Another prophecy reaches him: if Achilles joins the war, death awaits him. With a fearless heart, Achilles enlists, despite protest from Patroclus. During the war, his pride leads to a conflict between him and Agamemnon, making him unwilling to fight for the king. The Greek forces then begin to collapse. Desperate to save the army, Patroclus joins the army and is killed. His death incenses Achilles. Filled with rage, he brutally slaughters the perpetrator, Hector (Apollo’s son). Apollo grants Troy’s ruler the power to kill Achilles, who then dies from an arrow that pierces his chest.

Achilles is filled with hubris (a Greek term for arrogance), which causes both his ascent and fall. From the time he can first hold a spear, Achilles knows he is the strongest fighter. When he sees him fight, Chiron tells Achilles that destiny has chosen him to be the strongest warrior. If his mother’s aspiration that he become a god has shaped his confidence, this declaration inflates it even more. He remains pompous to the very end. The consistency of his pride softens only when Patroclus arrives and advises him. And yet, when Patroclus begs him to fight for the declining Greek soldiers, his offended arrogance deters him from doing so. Achilles is passionate about two things: his strength and Patroclus. When Patroclus is lost, Achilles goes mad and destroys the Trojan army. He dies fighting and losses his strength as well. As arrogant as he may be, Achilles is genuinely a man of steel and is significantly capable.

The whole story is narrated through the perspective of Patroclus. Once a prince, Patroclus accidentally kills some who bullies him and ends up descending into poverty. He never imagines himself gaining fame later on until he meets Achilles, who surprises him by giving him compassion. The true irony between them is that Patroclus is an introvert who is quite timid, while Achilles loves to socialize and remains brave. Patroclus is ordinary looking, while Achilles is one of the handsomest Greeks. Despite his disadvantages, Patroclus is one of the most sympathetic characters in the story and earns his glory even in the shadow of Achilles’s eminence. Of all the skills he could acquire from Chiron, he chooses healing. He never gives up following and loving Achilles even when Thetis continually separates them. He decides to console Deidamia, when she finds Achilles is cold to her. During the fight against the Trojans, Patroclus saves countless girls who otherwise might have become Greek slaves by telling Achilles to request them. Utilizing his healing capabilities, Patroclus saves numerous injured soldiers. He is the one who persuades Achilles to relinquish his pride and fight for the Greek troops. The others, including king Agamemnon, recognizes him as a great Greek. What cements his reputation is not his battle skills but his compassion. Although divine blood does not fill his veins, his desire to resolve the troubles of others is as commendable as the best fighter’s glory in battles.

This story's central theme (echoing other Greek myths and legends) is the gods' power over mortals. They connect Patroclus and Achilles, and they proclaim Achilles's death. In Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, Cassius says, "Men sometimes are masters of their own fates." It is obvious that Greek stories do not comply with this principle. Achilles might be strong, but he remains mortal. Even though he manages to harm a river god with his spear, he can't escape Apollo's arrow. When gods are angry, sacrifices must be made to save the mortals from more turmoil. When gods are willing, anything can be changed. It makes one wonder, "Are we really in control?"

The title of this book labels Achilles’s experience a song. That is certainly a concise choice. Songs are composed of beautiful rhythms sung throughout the world. The legend of Achilles, a powerful and prideful hero, influences many superheroes in modern literature. His tale echoes to this day.