"First Love Paradise": a study on sexual assault | Teen Ink

"First Love Paradise": a study on sexual assault

By SamanthaXie GOLD, Guangzhou, Other
SamanthaXie GOLD, Guangzhou, Other

"She must have been sexually harassed because she was dressed in revealing clothes!"

"There's no need to pretend to be so innocent, maybe she was supposed to be voluntary."

"Won't her husband turn his back on her?"

On April 27, 2017, Lin Yihan, a female writer from Taiwan Province, committed suicide at home.
At the age of 26, she hanged herself and left this prosperous and dirty world. Fang Siqi’s First Love Paradise adapts the heroine ’ s tragic story into a novel. Originally, this beautiful, brilliant and talented woman has everything envied by others, whereas beneath her glamorous appearance, a humble, sensitive and fragile heart hides. The newlywed Lin published her novel in February 2017, after getting married in 2016. After being interviewed for eight days, she chose to express her complaint and helplessness in this way and uncovered the scars, despair, and coldness under the perfect cover.

What happened to Fang Siqi in her childhood affected her life and alerted people that there are
thousands of "Fang Siqi" and "Lin Yihan" waiting to be discovered and rescued in this society.
Li Guohua, a 50-year-old man, grasped the psychology of adolescent girls that they are more
likely to worship teachers of the opposite sex. As expected,Fang Siqi, a teenage girl, had a heart
of admiration and trust for this teacher when they met for the first time, and later, the teacher
began his weekly tutoring alone for her. One day the teacher started his evil intention because he
deemed her as such a delicate girl who wouldn’t tell, because it was too dirty. Self-esteem is often a needle that hurts others, but here, self-esteem will seal her mouth. He forced Fang Siqi to the bookshelf and sexually assaulted her. Li Guohua said that this was his way of loving her by
using ancient poetry, taking beauty as a pretext, taking love as a reason, and even taking
compassion as an excuse. She didn't believe it, so she obscurely told her mother at the dinner
table that their education seemed to have everything but sex education. However, her mother
looked at her in surprise and replied, "What is sex education? Sex education is for those who
need sex. Isn't this the so-called sex education?" Then, Fang Siqi understands the narrative that
parents will always be absent from sex.

So, what can she do?

She relies on a distorted logic to let herself accept the fact that she falls in love with her
teacher. This love affair lasted for five years. Another female student who had the same
experience bravely told the truth, while she suffered from cyber violence. Even Li Guohua, who
seduced them, thought that the social taboo on sex was too convenient. The whole world
thought it was the girl's own fault to be raped. Even the girl felt that she was wrong, and guilt
would drive her back to him creating self-destructive behavior.

In fact, Lin Yihan, a real "Fang Siqi", has suffered from serious mental illness since she was
sexually assaulted at the age of 16. She can't attend classes normally like other students. Every
week, she took a high-speed train from Tainan to Taipei to see a psychiatrist. Even if she goes to
college, she would full of fear of everything around her. Since 2014, Lin Yihan has been
conceiving the novel Fang Siqi's First Love Paradise intermittently. She incarnates herself as
Fang Siqi and uses her identity as Fang Siqi to tell this nightmare-like past. Lin Yihan proves to
be courageous, even while suffering from depression and post-traumatic stress disorder can uncover their scars again and again and lick the wound with words. This way of writing is
destined to be painful. Sometimes it will heal and reconcile the traumatic past, but sometimes it
is destructive.

It is said that Nazi-era concentration camp is the largest massacre in human history, but Lin
Yihan believes the largest massacre in human history is Fang Siqi's rape. The most terrible
reality is that this massacre has not stopped, and it is still happening, even at this moment, and
the damage is everywhere. Those victims 's growth are thrilling and full of endless harm and
humiliation.

In the four years from 2013 to 2016, the number of cases of sexual assault against children
under 18 concluded by courts nationwide was as high as 10,782, which means that the average
number of cases include 7 assaults every day, according to the Supreme People’s Court’s data.
This number is astonishing and shocking, but it is only the tip of the iceberg. In 2016, 69.28% of
the cases of child sexual assault released by the Protection Fund of China Children's Culture and
Art Foundation were committed by acquaintances. Acquaintances are teachers and classmates,
neighbors, relatives or parents and friends, and relatives, other contacts from high to low in
proportion. This makes us wonder what caused these tragedies. What is missing in our society?
The fact is attributed to the source, which is the lack of sex education.

Studies have shown that nearly 70% of parents have not systematically teach their children on
sexual assault prevention, and nearly 90% of children have not attended sexual assault
prevention classes. Conservative? Shy? Can't make public? Perhaps these are the reasons why
children didn't get health science education. Dwellers live in a society that refuses to discuss sex,
which directly leads to the lack of our knowledge of anatomy and hygiene. In China and many
places, on the one hand, it is a traditional idea from ancient times to the present. Just like Fang
Siqi's parents, they don't want their children to contact sex education too early and think that
only those who need sex need sex education. Before there was an event: a parent saw that the
school sent books on sexual knowledge and science to kindergarten children, and immediately
found the school teacher, asked for an apology and stopped issuing it. In another news story,
after a junior high school student sexually assaulted a female classmate, the police found his
parents. The parents' first reaction was not to face the problem by themselves but to say that it
was a problem in biology textbooks and a problem of the country.Adolescent children often need parents' correct guidance and they rely on their guardians to instill correct values, world outlook and educate them on basic things. Lu Xun's interpretation of sexual meaning in How Do We Be Parents states that biological individuals are always old and dying, and in order to continue their lives, there is an instinctual sexual desire. Sexual intercourse occurs because of sexual desire, and Miao nationality occurs only after sexual intercourse, thus continuing life. Sexual desire is to preserve descendants and permanent life. Sexual intercourse is not evil and it is a part of life.

In the future, such cases will decrease due to the strengthening and consolidation of people's
consciousness, and more people will be free to do what they want and wear their own clothes,
regardless of gender identity. Furthermore, sex education is needed in schools to prevent sexual
assault and support those who have suffered but too afraid to speak out.

Rape is not caused by the victims. What a person wears is not an invitation to touch their
body. Kids, there's nothing wrong with wearing what you like