Paradise Lost; The Epic that Changed the World | Teen Ink

Paradise Lost; The Epic that Changed the World

By ArtThouLizardWizard GOLD, Deerfield, New Hampshire
ArtThouLizardWizard GOLD, Deerfield, New Hampshire

"We accept the love we think we deserve."-The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Epics such as The Illiad and the Odyssey are world-renowned for their unique style and impact on the world. But little known Paradise Lost deserves a lot more credit than it has received. Penned by 17th-century poet John Milton, Paradise Lost is a unique set of works spanning over twelve books (Exploring Poetry 1). Religious characters such as The Devil, God, and Adam all set the scene for this highly influential piece of literature. Due to its long-lasting impact including influencing music and other literary works such as Frankenstein, Paradise Lost should be considered the most highly influential piece of literature in today’s contemporary world. 

Paradise Lost details a poetic take on biblical stories between God, the Devil, and other famous characters. The novel starts by describing Adam and Eve’s sins and how their eating of the fruit lead to their downfall (Sparknotes 1). Focusing on the impact of downfall, creation, and redemption, Milton uses the Holy Spirit as a guide in explaining how the battle in heaven impacted the relationship between good and bad (DISCovering Authors 1). First, Milton follows Satan’s descent into Hell (Sparknotes 1). Satan is found by a flaming lake of Hell with his anti-angels planning on regaining Heaven when he hears the news that a new world is to be created (DISCovering Authors 1). He hypes up his fellow angels and people of Hell encouraging them to join his team; they create Pandemonium the palace of Hell which they use to start their council (DISCovering Authors 1). Shortly after the establishment of Pandemonium, Satan’s minions start discussing the best course of action. Moloch starts the debate with the idea of war- which is quite a typical course of action for these demons (DISCovering 1). Second minion Belai (who represents sloth and laziness) rebuts this idea saying that they had already been defeated by the angelic forces multiple times and they should simply make the best of their lives in Hell (Sparknotes 1). The demons continue sharing their ideas. Next is Mammon who says that they should create a new kingdom in Hell and reign superior (Epics for Students 1). Finally, getting the last word in, Satan’s righthand man Beelzebub states they should investigate this so-called “new world” and the new being God was planning on creating (Epics for Students 1). By combining everyone’s ideas, they decided that they could seduce mankind resulting in them ruling over Earth (DISCovering 1). Everyone is overjoyed by this idea and the demons play games while Satan ventures out to get to the bottom of this upcoming world. Satan continues passing through the gates of Hell by promising his son and daughter (Sin and Death) power when he takes over mankind and ultimately Earth. Milton now switches the perspective to God who is sitting on his throne when he sees Satan spiraling down from the sky onto Earth (Sparknotes 1). Anxious over Satan’s inevitable win, God tells his Son about what is to come as if to clear the blame from his shoulders (Epics for Students 1). Knowing that there is not another option, the Son allows himself to be used as ransom and God prepares his people for whatever this will bring (Epics for Students 1). Meanwhile, Satan is approaching the Limbo of Vanity when he comes across a lesser angel named Uriel. Deceived by his disguise, Uriel lets him into the new world thinking he has pure intentions (DISCovering 1). Satan gets through and finds himself in the Garden of Eden where he overhears Adam and Eve discussing the Tree of Knowledge which they are forbidden to eat from (Sparknotes 1). Uriel eventually sees through Satan’s deceit and sends Gabriel the guardian of the Gate of Paradise to go put a stop to his ultimate plan (Sparknotes 1). Now masquerading as a toad, Satan is found by the angels whispering lies into Eve’s ear as she sleeps. He is brought to Gabriel but can swiftly escape (DISCovering 1). In the morning, Adam and Eve discuss their troubling dreams and Gabriel (along with Raphael)  is sent by God to tell them about Satan’s devious plan (Epics for Students 1). The two are reminded of the war between Micheal, Gabriel, and Satan and how he created “devilishish engines” (including gunpowder) which nearly resulted in the angels losing the battle. Raphael tells Adam more about his personal story and shares that God can help him gain the knowledge he craves (Sparknotes 1). With one final warning, Raphael leaves (Epics for Students 1). The following day, Satan returns as a serpent (Sparknotes 1). Eve does not want to be depicted as weak, so she insists that she and Adam work apart despite his protesting (Epics for Students 1). Satan woos Eve by complimenting her and convinces her that he gained magical powers by eating fruit from the Knowledge Tree (DISCovering 1). She brings fruit to Adam, but he knows that this is a trick. However, his love for Eve is overwhelming so he eats the forbidden fruit and the two are overcome with lust and shame which results in them arguing and blaming each other for their mistakes (DISCovering 1). The angels go back to Heaven and tell God everything they have seen; having no other option, they send the Son down to judge Adam and Eve (Sparknotes 1). Satan finally returns to Pandemonium but finds that not only Death and Sin are going to be punished, but his angels have been turned into serpents in return for his evil deed. Deeply upset, Adam and Eve start to reconcile as they comfort each other. Promising to make everything up to God, their punishment is decided to be their offspring will be the ones who are punished (Epics for Students 1). Hearing their prayers, the Son argues that God should not be so harsh which results in God agreeing and the couple being taken to a mountain by Micheal. After their exile from Paradise, the two are shown the future detailing all of the biblical events up to Noah’s Ark. (Sparknotes 1). Finally, the account of Adam and Eve’s fall starts to wrap itself up as the book progresses into part XII. Micheal finishes his account of the events to come (such as the Second Coming of Christ) and then the teary-eyed couple walks through the gate leading them to their new home (Sparknotes 1). Devastated at leaving Paradise, Adam and Eve still hold some optimism for their future since they are still able to be together.

Milton’s take on Adam and Eve’s descent in lust and sin is poetic and beautifully done. But John Milton led an interesting life besides this. Born in Cheapside, London in the year 1608 to a wealthy family, Milton got a good education right off the bat (EXPLORING Poetry 1). As his father specialized in music and literature, the young boy was raised writing poetry which gave him the practice he needed to be a successful poet and writer (Gale Contextual  1). Tutored in his own home for two years, Milton later went on to attend St. Paul’s school until he graduated which lead him to go to a college called Christ’s College in Cambridge at the ripe age of 16 (Encyclopedia of World Biography 1). In 1632, he left college with a Master’s degree (supposedly after attending Cambridge as well) and switched from intense public speaking to focusing primarily on his writing and poetry (EXPLORING Poetry 1). During these years, he was moving around from place to place; most notably, he lived in Hammersmith, Horton, and Buckinghamshire (EXPLORING Poetry 1). His earliest works completed during his college career included “L’Allegro”, “Il Penseroso”, and even one of his more popular works “Lycidas” (Gale Contextual 1). Similar to Paradise Lost, the majority of his early works detailed biblical stories and accounts. In 1638, Milton left England and headed to Italy (Gale Contextual 1). Meeting many important and accomplished writers, he built reputability as he soon published Damon during his travels (Gale Contextual 1). After returning to England, Milton started writing more political and religious pieces. Dedicating himself to serve God and England, in 1641 and 1642, Milton criticized the bishop’s regulations over marriage and religion (Gale Contextual 1). Before marrying Mary Powell in ‘42, he became highly involved with the ideals of divorce (Gale Contextual 1). As the royalists and non-royalists started to engage in armed conflict, Milton started to focus on his poetry again. Some of his notable pieces from this period were Areopagitica, History of Britain, and several other pamphlets and political pieces (Encyclopedia of World Biography 1). Shortly after, his first wife Mary died in 1652 due to childbirth complications (Encyclopedia of World Biography 1). Six years later in 1658, Milton remarried a woman named Katherine Woodcock (DISCovering Poetry 1). In the same year as their marriage, she died in the same manner as Mary did (DISCovering Poetry). Finally, Milton remarried one last time to Betty Minshull in 1663 (Encyclopedia of World Biography 1). While some argue that Milton published his famous work Areopagtica years prior, some sources debate that this work was finished in 1664 (Gale Contextual 1). Shortly after Charles, I demise, Cromwell came to power and asked Milton to be his Latin secretary for foreign affairs (Gale Contextual 1). Accepting his offer, Milton soon published pieces such as A Defence of the People of England in the early 1650s which praised Cromwell’s leadership (Encyclopedia of World Biography 1). Following Crowell’s death in 1658, Milton was let go from his previous job (Gale Contextual 1). During the final years of his life, Paradise Lost was finished. One rumor stated that Milton went blind from reading in the candlelight in his youth (Gale Contextual 1). With this theory, it is assumed that his daughters helped him record his thoughts so he could complete the novel (Gale Contextual 1). Finally published in 1667, Paradise Lost was a biblical story depicting Adam and Eve’s journey to sin and how forces such as Satan and God played a role in this (EXPLORING Poetry 1). Within the following two years, he published the sequel Paradise Regained, Samson Agonistes, and Of True Religion, before he died from gout (a disease from the build-up of uric acids) in 1674 (EXPLORING Poetry 1). While Milton never directly commented on his cause for writing the novel Paradise Lost, it is evident that his passion for religion and politics directly played a role in this decision. Devoted to God and religion (which he is assumed to be Christianity or Catholic), his account of Satan’s journey to Earth and back is world-renowned for its long-lasting impact and power. 

Written in the late 1600s, the political and religious beliefs in England heavily played a role in the writing of Paradise Lost. Known as a period of diverse rulers, kings such as Charles I and leaders such as Cromwell gave way to much criticism. Known as the Stuart age, politics gave way to many debates between people known as the royalists and non-royalists (Gregory 1). Milton grew up in the early 1600s which exposed him to kings such as King James I and James VI (Gregory 1). As these rulers so-called “used the church as a product of history,” religions such as Christianity and Catholicism were popular in England during this period. Later on, in Milton’s life, new rulers took charge such as King Charles I. This is when a lot of influential writers and debaters took rise and started arguing against the king (Gale in Context 1). Often described as incapable of properly ruling, King Charles’s death in the late 1600s let ruler Cromwell take power (Fix 1). Cromwell was critically acclaimed (especially in some of Milton’s political works) and early on he attempted to amend the current Constitution (Encyclopedia #2 1). More dedicated to religion as he considered himself an extension of God’s will, Cromwell was a popular choice for those who were devoted to their religions when compared to rulers such as Charles or James (Encyclopedia #2 1). Following a more authoritative government, Cromwell’s short-lived reign heavily influenced the Stuart Age (Gregory 1). It is important to focus on the political and religious aspects of the 1600s when analyzing novels such as Paradise Lost. In this case, it is ever so influential as Milton was especially the politician and devoted religious follower. As depicted with his biblical tale, Milton was truly influenced by rulers he saw and believed in. 

As the 1600s were quite a political and religious time, Milton’s novel fits in well with the political climate he found himself in. Despite impacting the society he currently lives in, Milton’s words have live on and found meaning throughout the years. As described in Milton’s life history, his political works were highly renowned during his time as a public speaker and political writer (DISCovering Poetry 1). But his most influential work Paradise Lost did not have the power initially as it does now. However, shortly after his death, the epic began to take off. Critics such as John Dryden, William Blake, and Percy Bysshe Shelley all praised the work and even described it as a “precursor of Romanticism” (Gale Contextual 1). Even just ten years after his death, John Dryden based his poem “Acitophel” on the depiction of Satan and converted the epic into an opera (Encyclopedia of World Biography 1). A few decades or so later, authors and poets such as John Keats, Alfred, and Lord Tennyson were all heavily influenced by the late Milton (Encyclopedia of World Biography 1). Additionally, it is said that the Victorians kept Paradise Lost alongside their bibles, and biographer David Masson made sure his work was still appreciated during this era (Encyclopedia of World Biography 1). Later on, artists from a variety of decades praised Milton and honored his contributions to the genre. Mary Shelly’s famous and notable Frankenstein told inspiration from Milton’s masterpiece (A Cultural History 1). For example, the impact continued into the 1920s when authors such as T.S Eliot criticized the epic for being cold and dry; but it continued to pick back up in the 1940s when a group of writers and essayists were heavily influenced by the piece around the time of WWII (Gale Contextual 1). C.S Lewis and Charles Williams continued to praise Milton’s Paradise Lost despite all of the previous criticism (Gale Contextual 1). Finally, today’s contemporary world has carried on with this tremendous impact. Phillip Pullman’s His Dark Materials, and even modern musicians, and even today’s political and religious climate were all influenced by the work (BBC Culture 1). One could even argue that perhaps America’s decision to separate church and state was heightened by the narrowing account Milton provided so many years ago. While this impact is tremendous and has impacted society for generations, it is also vital to consider exactly why Paradise Lost is so spectacular.

Milton’s Paradise Lost is not only extremely fascinating and puts an interesting spin on the original story of Adam and Eve, but the long-term impact left on the world should leave it as the world’s number one influential piece of literature. First of all, Milton was a highly intelligent and educated man. At an early age, he learned several languages and was indulged in the world of music and poetry (EXPLORING Poetry 1). By climbing into a political position, he gained experience that added depth and meaning to his works. For example, his early political pieces at the start of his career gained him reputability as he worked with some of the finest artists and academics Italy had to offer (Gale Contextual 1). This experience made Milton have a unique outlook on poetry and writing in general. Furthermore, as he had a solid understanding of religion from his political and religious ventures, he was able to more accurately depict the occurrence of the religious events in the biblical stories that became Paradise Lost. Finally, the immense cultural impact left by Paradise Lost makes it even more influential and important. Even years after his death, the tale took off and encouraged other poets such as John Dryden to create similar works (Encyclopedia of World Biography 1). Stretching as far as at least the late 90s, contemporary and modern adaptations and works including His Dark Materials keeps Milton and Paradise Lost alive and notable. 

Paradise Lost provides universal themes and ideas (such as sin and consequence) that can be carried on forever. Today’s teenagers should be taught Paradise Lost in high school English classes. Known for being reckless and making careless mistakes associated with a lack of finesse and experience, perhaps the teachings of God showing mercy and kindness will resonate with today’s young people. Perhaps a high school sophomore lets down a friend or romantic partner. Or another student gets a poor grade and does not know what to do next. These circumstances may seem mundane and insignificant, but with the modern pressures that affect people of all ages in today’s world, the lessons of the Son teaching patience and consideration, or even Eve making peace with Adam despite spoiling their chances to remain in Paradise could make a real difference. These themes are universal and there is a clear reason why people have picked up Paradise Lost time and time again. Therefore, not only should Milton’s classic be transferred to today’s youth, but it is one of the most influential tales of all time.

Paradise Lost is the most influential piece of literature of all time. Not only does it remain relevant in today’s culture, but the political and religious lessons it carries on is tremendous. But why is this significant? Why should an epic that was written over 300 years ago remain important? In an ever-changing world where nothing is concrete, it is important to honor ethics and remain true to one’s self. As depicted in this biblical story, Paradise Lost provides an everlasting oasis for those who are indeed lost. Time and time again, this story can be used as a guide to show the true domino effect of a simple decision and how it can impact those around you. As John Milton once said, “long is the way And hard, that out of hell leads up to light,” meaning the journey to finding your way out of the rubble may be difficult and long, but there is always a path to redemption. Look within yourself and find your Paradise Lost; because despite what the title suggests, one is never truly lost.

Works Cited

A Cultural History of Frankenstein: Paradise Lost, www.mtholyoke.edu/courses/rschwart/hist257s02/students/Becky/paradise.html.
“Why You Should Re-Read Paradise Lost.” BBC Culture, BBC, www.bbc.com/culture/article/20170419-why-paradise-lost-is-one-of-the-worlds-most-important-poems.
Fix, Andrew. "Defining the Jacobean Church: The Politics of Religious Controversy, 1603-1625." Journal of Church and State, vol. 48, no. 4, Autumn 2006, p. 889+. Gale In Context: High School, link.gale.com/apps/doc/A159328283/SUIC?u=nort67024&sid=SUIC&xid=8c296214. Accessed 9 Dec. 2020.
Gregory, Jeremy. "The Stuart Age: England 1603-1714." History Today, vol. 46, no. 12, Dec. 1996, p. 56. Gale In Context: High School, link.gale.com/apps/doc/A18967485/SUIC?u=nort67024&sid=SUIC&xid=263ddbda. Accessed 9 Dec. 2020.
"John Milton." EXPLORING Poetry, Gale, 2003. Gale In Context: High School, link.gale.com/apps/doc/EJ2114103053/SUIC?u=nort67024&sid=SUIC&xid=738478c6. Accessed 8 Dec. 2020.
"John Milton." Encyclopedia of World Biography Online, Gale, 1998. Gale In Context: High School, link.gale.com/apps/doc/K1631004559/SUIC?u=nort67024&sid=SUIC&xid=7fe7d258. Accessed 9 Dec. 2020.
Milton, John." Gale Contextual Encyclopedia of World Literature, vol. 3, Gale, 2009, pp. 1080-1084. Gale In Context: High School, link.gale.com/apps/doc/CX2507200326/SUIC?u=nort67024&sid=SUIC&xid=9e24f251. Accessed 9 Dec. 2020
"Oliver Cromwell." Encyclopedia #2 of World Biography Online , Gale, 1998. Gale In Context: High School, link.gale.com/apps/doc/K1631001612/SUIC?u=nort67024&sid=SUIC&xid=d6cb5eae. Accessed 9 Dec. 2020.
"Plot Summary: Paradise Lost." DISCovering Authors, Gale, 2003. Gale In Context: High School, link.gale.com/apps/doc/EJ2101302738/SUIC?u=nort67024&sid=SUIC&xid=00a1d3bc. Accessed 9 Dec. 2020.
"Plot Summary: Paradise Lost." Epics for Students, vol. 1, Gale, 1997. Gale In Context: High School, link.gale.com/apps/doc/EJ2125000500/SUIC?u=nort67024&sid=SUIC&xid=ddc15ee9. Accessed 9 Dec. 2020.
SparkNotes, SparkNotes, www.sparknotes.com/poetry/paradiselost/summary/.