The Kite Runner | Teen Ink

The Kite Runner

October 27, 2021
By Ela2611 PLATINUM, Vancouver, Columbia
Ela2611 PLATINUM, Vancouver, Columbia
43 articles 30 photos 39 comments

Favorite Quote:
Give the ones you love , the wings to fly roots to come by and reasons to stay …….


                                                     The Kite Runner

The unforegettable , heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father's servant . The KITE RUNNER is a beautifully crafted novel set in 1970's Afghanistan . The riveting story of love , jealously and most of all friendship.

 

The story revolves around a wealthy boy named Amir , his father and their servant boy Hassan who is Amir's best friend . Amir , who is constantly struggling to earn his father's love while Hassan promises to help him by winning the local kite tournament . But none of the boys can foresee what will happen to Hassan that afternoon which is an event that will shatter both of their lives .

 

While the two separate paths , the words of Hassan " for you and a thousand times over " lingers in Amir's mind including a life long secret . But when Hassan dies , Amir raises Hassan's son realizing that brotherhood is not shared by blood , but the " love that lies within ".

 

Khaled Hosseini writes from a heart that remembers its homeland , and remembers it well. While most of us think Afghanistan as a war torn and a weary country . Hosseini remembers what it was before all of that came to be. He gives the Afghani people a face and most importantly a true place in the world. 


He gives us a narrator who is likeable , admirable or sometimes even excusable , who is humane and an understanding person . To anyone who loves a simple , heartfelt journey from a war torn country with the depiction of a beautiful friendship  , I would strongly recommend this heart warming novel. 


The author's comments:

The novel's phenomenal success speaks volumes and the impact it has had on mind of the readers .A film too of the same name made in 2007 , is less faithful to the book . Hosseini truly triumphs in this novel.