Ten by Gretchen McNeil | Teen Ink

Ten by Gretchen McNeil

By audreyweaver77 BRONZE, Lenexa, Kansas
audreyweaver77 BRONZE, Lenexa, Kansas

Ten, by Gretchen McNeil, is a mystery book based on Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None. The main character, Meg, is your average teen “plain girl.” She likes to write, unlike other girls who like to party and have fun. Her popular best friend convinces her to go to a party on a faraway island, where almost everyone ends up being murdered. On the island, she runs into the boy who both she and her best friend are in love with. The story twists and turns, and if you’ve never read And Then There Were None, you won’t be able to guess who the murderer is.

This is the kind of book that you can’t put down. I read it in four days but definitely not because of the characters, who are not very relatable. I found myself trying to relate to Meg, but then she would do something or say something that didn’t make sense to me. For example, she decides that a house full of dead people is the perfect setting for a makeout scene. I think most people would be running for their lives in that situation, but as I said before, Meg isn’t like other girls.

Despite the unrelatable characters, the mystery is thrilling and will leave you wanting to read chapter after chapter. I had lots of fun trying to work out the clues before Meg did and enjoyed comparing the murders to the ones in And Then There Were None. I believe that McNeil succeeded in creating an exciting tale using elements from Agatha Christie’s novel while still making it her own. I would recommend this book to mystery lovers who aren’t trying to relate to characters.