Caged Warrior by Alan Lawrence Sitomer book review | Teen Ink

Caged Warrior by Alan Lawrence Sitomer book review

By Phl.RamilJr SILVER, Sacramento, California
Phl.RamilJr SILVER, Sacramento, California

You miss 100% of the shot you don't take

Underground Fights, People from poor places that has a special talent in knocking people out cold, putting people in pain, sending people into the hospital or love watching it happen goes here. Most of the fighters hoping to get enough win and make a name for themselves to get to the pros. But doing something illegal like an underground fight has consequences.

The novel by Alan Lawrence Sitomer Caged Warrior is about a 16 yr old Mixed Martial Arts fighter from the armpit of a city called Detroit named McCutchen Daniels or (M.D) with his sister Gemma and his ex-boxer dad nicknamed “Demon” . M.D fights in an underground MMA circuit run by the Priest, an organization of criminals that run the criminal activity in Detroit. Just like any other underground  fighters, M.D also wants to go pro and make a better life for his little sister Gemma. But as we get deeper into the story, M.D found something else in life, education by the help of his Biology teacher, Mr. Freedman who saw a smart kid in M.D and love. The Priest and his Dad only see him as a pawn in their own games, Using him as a money making machine. Once the Priest and Demon realize that something is threatening to take their golden egg laying goose away from their grasp, they try everything to keep him in check even going into taking the most valuable person in his life, His sister Gemma. With the help of Mr. Freedman who used to work in the FBI. M.D is going to get his sister back and try to take down the Priest once and for all.

The author made an outstanding job into making the main character. M.D is such a grounded character which makes him such a relatable character especially if you’re going through the same struggles growing up. He is just a kid who got put in a horrible condition taking away his childhood and making him grow up mentally. He’s willing to fight in order to protect someone precious in his life and giving her better life than he has.

The story of M.D shows us something as readers we don’t usually see in real life. Child exploitation, child abuse, and illegal gang activities. The way the book told the story makes it more interesting and it really makes us readers feel like we’re in the story and that we experienced the stuff thats going on in the book in our life.

Caged Warrior is such an amazing novel. It’s action packed and will make you feel happy,sad,excited,and will always keep you on the side of your chair. I read a lot of other books like this but this one is by far the best one i’ve read.

By Ramil Turpias