Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson | Teen Ink

Allegedly by Tiffany D. Jackson

By vanesaaa SILVER, Sacramento, California
vanesaaa SILVER, Sacramento, California

"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style." - Maya Angelou

Allegedly is a book that will make you question reality, feel empathy, and cause suspense. Once you start reading you won't be able to stop, leaving you eager to find out what will happen next.

Allegedly is about a black 9 year old girl named Mary B. Addison, who killed a white person's baby... well allegedly. Marry survived 6 years in Juvenile Hall for the murder before she gets sent to a group home. She's trapped trying to survive day by day, hopefully not ending up getting killed by one of the other girls. Marry has gotten pregnant by Ted, a worker in a nursing home, who also has a dark past. Her soon to be born baby has inspired her to speak the truth about the night of the murder, hopefully revisiting the case and proving her innocence which will help her to keep her own baby.

At a deeper level, Tiffany D.Jackson’s book explores the issues of child abuse, mental illness, and injustice. The book is dark because of what Mary and the other group home members are put through by the system. The darkness makes the reader feel compelled to sympathize with the affected characters and the real life stories of many children and teenagers in the juvenile justice system.

Allegedly is a book you won't regret reading. The book is filled with unanswered questions leaving you wanting to figure out the mysterious question--did she really kill the baby?

Who really killed the baby?