Think Independently, Think Critically | Teen Ink

Think Independently, Think Critically

By acranford BRONZE, Princeton, Massachusetts
acranford BRONZE, Princeton, Massachusetts

Rebels. Who are rebels? Are you are a rebel for defying your mom? Are you a rebel for not doing your homework? Are you a rebel about skipping a sports practice? Personally, I think rebellion is the resistance to conform. Now, what about manipulation. How is someone supposed to know that they are being used? Being taken advantage of? That seems to a big topic of conversation with your parents when you have your first significant other, right? “Are they trying to take advantage of you honey, I just want what’s best for you…”. Manipulation is when someone is being used, or when someone attempts to cajole you into following their ways. In the fable, Animal Farm written by George Orwell, the English author explores the ideas of rebellion and manipulation, while also exposing lies through the fable, one of which is that the government always has your best interests at heart. Orwell states, “I write it because there is some lie that I want to expose”. The story is portrayed through lovable animals as characters who live on Manor Farm, until they see a need for a change, so they plan a revolt against the humans with the idea that all animals will be treated equally; yet, not long after the rebellion it is clear that the pigs are the distinct leaders and oppress the other animals. I recommend this novel to those who want to be aware of their government’s power when using propaganda and slowly taking away the privileges of the citizens.

As the novel progresses, the propaganda becomes a definite form of manipulation, because the animals are unable to see that the pigs are oppressing them, which is interesting to observe because it relates to our society when people are unable to see their rights being stripped. After the rebellion and the creation of Animal Farm, the pigs quickly become the distinct leaders. Using propaganda as a tactic, the pigs manipulate the other animals into thinking they have their best interests at heart, when in fact it is only in the best interest for the pigs. Squealer, the face of the propaganda, convinces the animals that the changes initiated benefit them. For example, when the animals all think the windfall apples would be distributed to all animals equally, but Squealer says differently explaining, "You do not imagine, I hope, that we pigs doing this in a spirit of selfishness and privilege? ….  Our sole object in taking these things is to preserve our health. It for your sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples.” Spinning the truth, Squealer manipulates the other animals solely for the benefit of the pigs. The persuasive pig, knows the more he and the other pigs can get the animals to do what they want, trusting they are making the right choice for the farm, there won’t be a question about the abuse of power. See what I mean, Squealer just totally took advantage of those animals like your parents just warned you about with your new boyfriend or girlfriend. Now, think about it outside of this fable. Take a minute. Have you ever really thought about how your government might be manipulating you, or how much power your government has over you? I encourage you to really think about how your government could be promoting a change using propaganda that will not at all benefit you; and, you risk not being able to see past the positive spin of propaganda and believing that your government always puts citizens first. I recommend this novel to those who want to observe how the government's use of propaganda could be restricting your rights instead of making a beneficial change.

Another reason I recommend this novel is to observe the power which was subversively stripped from the animals, which relates to our society; it was more difficult for the animals to recognize when rights were restricted, similar to our government gaining excessive power. After the humans were driven off the farm, the ongoing battle for who would be the leader of Animal Farm continued, until eventually Snowball is also driven out Animal Farm, so Napoleon seizes all the power. After the animals have finished building the windmill, practically being worked to death, the days of luxuries that came with a farm ran by animals seemed to drift farther away. Orwell writes, “The luxuries of which Snowball had once taught the animals to dream, the stalls with electric light and hot and cold water, and the three day week, were no longer talked about”. These “luxuries” were no longer dreamed of because the animal’s purpose is to work with no reward, and since they are not enough of critical thinkers to realize that all animals were not created equal, they cannot take a stand. Since these changes were not drastic changes, the animals were unable to see how it was affecting their lives. To me, this made the novel more interesting because it shows the government's power over the people and that the government obtains the ability to strip citizens of privileges in order to control them without their awareness. Imagine this: one day your government creates a new policy, that you can’t wear the color red anymore because it represents the color of the enemy. You think “ah okay that makes sense.” Then, a month later school days are an hour longer. Then, every school has the same uniform across the country until eventually the government controls everything you say and do, and your country has turned into a dictatorship because no one took a stand. Some might argue that these changes would never be initiated because we live in a democracy, not a dictatorship so nothing like that could ever happen. However, consider this: people are greedy and power is like a drug and when people obtain too much power they might try to strip your rights because they want the power for themselves. Putting down your guard just because you live in a “democracy” is what will lead you into the slippery slope of a dictatorship.

In short, think critically.

Be an iconoclast.

And, read this fable.