The Red Pyramid | Teen Ink

The Red Pyramid

By Kinverlin BRONZE, Grand Prairie, Texas
Kinverlin BRONZE, Grand Prairie, Texas

Sadie and Carter are siblings, but were never really close. One day, their dad attempted to make things right. By doing so, he let out a very dangerous Egyptian god, one of them being Set, who traps him in a coffin. Sadie and Carter leave to save their own lives. They later find out about a world with Egyptian gods that they are now part of. In order to save their dad and all of North America, they have to stop the god of evil, Set.

One of the things that really questioned my love for this book was how confusing the Egyptian Mythology was, but this turned out to be a good thing. Since it was the first time Sadie and Carter were learning about Egyptian magic, I could empathize with them because I was too. When one of the characters, Bast, was explaining the magic that was happening, Carter said, “Could you please say something I actually understand” (Riordan 119). Then, as the story develops, we start to understand what’s happening and so do they. This could have been a negative thing, but turned out to be positive and deepened my love for the book.

Another thing that I really enjoyed, was that we had the chance to see more than one perspective. We see what both Carter and Sadie think, and they’re literally telling us a story because they were recording this for people like “them”. If they have different opinions on something, we’ll get to see what both of them think. For example, they got into an argument about their lives, and we got to see both of their opinions on the topic. Sadie, for instance, thought “The idea that he could be jealous of my life while he got to travel the world with Dad- please” (Riordan 170). At first, I was confused on why Sadie didn’t understand why Carter was jealous of her, but after seeing her point of view I understood her better.

This book has magic, jokes, and plot twist that would be great for 12 to 16 year olds. I would also recommend this to people who are fans of Percy Jackson because it’s very similar but completely different at the same time. If you like Egyptian mythology, this would be a great book for you since the book revolves around it.