Sea Wolf | Teen Ink

Sea Wolf

By Augustishappytoday BRONZE, Worcester, Massachusetts
Augustishappytoday BRONZE, Worcester, Massachusetts

The Sea Wolf, a novel written by Jack London, is about a writer named Humphrey van Weyden and his struggles against the sea. The book tells about how nature is able to influence the ordered reality. Hump, the writer, finds himself in an ocean collision. He is rescued by Ghost, a seal-hunting ship headed for Japan. Several other survivors are also saved by Wolf Larsen, the vessel’s captain. One by one, they gradually fall under the control of Wolf Larsen and try to escape from him as a result. On the boat, Hump gets to know Maud Brewster, a young lady who becomes romantically engaged with him later. They overcome many obstacles and threats from Wolf Larsen together. The two not only have to face the harsh environment, but they also must face the unforgiving nature from his  own nature. At the same time, they strive to survive from the captain’s obstacles. Furthermore, they must also try to fight their own inner demons.

In the plot, Jack London shows how the environment influences people and forms their characters. In the book, The Sea Wolf, Hump represents humans in general and the ship,the Ghost, is a reference to the journey of life. Furthermore, the developments that occur between Hump and other people on the boat can be seen as events that happen through one’s lifetime. In summation, the whole book is about the relationships between people and others as well as with the living environment.