Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur | Teen Ink

Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur

June 20, 2018
By danielle.ramsey BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
danielle.ramsey BRONZE, Farmington, New Hampshire
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Milk and Honey, by Rupi Kaur is a collection of poems based upon femininity. It holds experience from a woman going through trauma, love, loss, and abuse. The book is divided into four chapters, all of them pulling the sweetness from the bitter. Milk and Honey is raw honesty, and it teaches empathy. Kaur has experienced all that she writes about, giving the reader a walk in her shoes.

This collection of poems use drawings to give you a picture of what her life was like. Although it was apparent that these poems were about Kaur’s life, she makes them broad enough to be universal themes. She is a very brave women to talk about the things society thinks should be never spoken of. I don’t think she wanted this book to become huge, but it did anyway.

I think everyone needs to read this book, no matter if they’ve experienced any of the things in it. Milk and Honey teaches not only the beauty of being a women, but empathy for anyone experiencing abuse. It talks about a collection of hard topics that society shuts down, but brings out the good in them and the experience of healing after them. Milk and Honey holds the greatest advice you could ever receive, and I would recommend it to everyone.   


The author's comments:

it was a school project