Bad Ad | Teen Ink

Bad Ad

Hula dancer. Gum bra. Innocent. This Orbit gum advertisement shows a woman without a mind of her own and careless attitude. The Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company is using the idea of symbols and beautiful people to sell a product.
The woman shows that if you chew Orbit gum, you will become radiant and alluring to men. The placement of the gum is also up for discussion. The placement draws men in to thinking that if they chew this gum, they will be able to have the woman of their dreams.
Literally this is showing an attractive hula dancer dancing around with a top made from two packs of Orbit Maui Mint, strategically placed in front of her chest.
The lifestyle expressed in this situation is laid back because of the serene scenery behind the girl. The beach and use of soft colors makes you feel relaxed. The Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company did a good job incorporating a tranquil atmosphere.
The values in this advertisement are limited because it is using women as nothing more than an object. The placement of the gum packs over her breasts makes the woman appear worthless. The advertisement is demining to woman.
The target market is Caucasian men ages 10 to 40 years old, in the middle to lower class. These men are attracted to skinny and simple minded individuals. The advertisement tells us nothing about where we can get this gum and how much it will cost per package.
This advertisement presents to consumers that chewing Orbit Maui Melon Mint will give you straight, white teeth. It also shows that the gum is low in calories because the woman selling the product is skinny and posses a healthy glow.