PlayStation 3 | Teen Ink

PlayStation 3

By patrickj96 BRONZE, Westminster, Maryland
patrickj96 BRONZE, Westminster, Maryland

Sony's PS3 wasn't doing good. In fact, it was doing horrible. When I went to my local GameStop before the PS3 Slim, they said that the PS2 was selling better than the PS3. But then, Sony announced the PS3 Slim. The Slim was officially released on September 1st, but retailers such as Amazon and GameStop started selling them August 25th. Boy, that was the best Sony had ever made regarding the PS3. Sales rocketed upwards, and in the first week alone, the PS3 sold 75,931, compared to the week before which the PS3 only sold 37, 167 units. That's a 104% increase. In the first week. Yup, Sony hit gold. PS3 Slim sales continued to do very well, and in six months they made more money on the PS3 Slim then they did in a whole year on the old PS3. The PS3 is (finally) starting to get popular. The once-large gap of the sales between the 360 and the PS3 is starting to close; the gap is only 4 million units now.

The Wii and the DS are still ahead in the market, but the PS3 is catching up. Now, the PS3 has some wonderful exclusives, like: the God of War series, Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Killzone 2, Demon's Souls, LittleBigPlanet, ModNation Racers (not out yet) Heavy Rain, MAG, inFamous, MLB 10: The Show, White Knight Chronicles, Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time, and Yakuza 3. (And boy, when Gran Turismo 5 comes out, that will be the best driving simulator ever, I think) Some of those stand out more than others, like Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Killzone 2, the God of War series, LittleBigPlanet, Heavy Rain (and maybe MAG). Uncharted 2: Among Thieves is an absolutely amazing game. Having spent many, many hours playing that game, it is incredible. Better than MW2, better than Halo 3. Defiantly game of the year for '09. The voice acting is incredible. The story is even better.

You become attached to the characters, like how you would in Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings. The graphics are just insane. They are defiantly the best graphics. Ever. Okay, so we know that the story is great and it looks pretty. But how is the gameplay? Well, you may be tired of me saying this but, again, it's awesome. You could call Uncharted 2 either an action adventure game, or you could call it a third person shooter. There is much adventuring, sort of in a perfected-tomb-raider way. You swing from poles, like Tomb Raider, and you do a lot of Tomb Raider/Indiana Jones type stunts. The online play is awesome too. (I don't want to get to much into this, as this is a review of the PS3, not Uncharted 2.) Killzone 2 is a great FPS, it doesn't change the genre but it is still a great game. The God of War series is a great Beat-'Em-Up (or action adventure) game. LittleBigPlanet is a wonderful, family friendly game. Some people think that it is just for little kids, but it's not. It is a great, fully customizable, creative game. Heavy Rain is an extremely original story game. MAG has made it so that 256 players can play at one time! So, yes, we know that the PS3 has great games (and there are some great non-exclusive games too, like MW2 and FFXIII), and you know that the PS3 will not die on you, whereas the 360 has a 50% chance that you will get the infamous Red Ring of Death. Still, Sony just announced that they are making the warranty for PS3's longer.

And now, one of the great things about buying a PS3: It works as a blu-ray player, and a DVD player. Blu-ray players nowadays sell for about 120-250$. Does the top line of blu-ray players play games in blu-ray? Do they have wi-fi to surf the web? Can it store music and photos? (The one's that hold music and photos get up to about 500$) So, at 300$ you get great games, free online gaming, a blu-ray player, a music player, a photo holder. Like Sony says, "It only does everything."

I own a PS3 and I love it.

on May. 8 2010 at 7:07 am
"Boy, that was the best *decision* Sony had ever made regarding the PS3.