An Unexpected Stay | Teen Ink

An Unexpected Stay

November 20, 2023
By 4Clark BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin
4Clark BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

After a 4.5 hour drive from Hartland, Wisconsin to Minneapolis, Minnesota, my cousin and I longed for a place to lay down before we went out to explore the city and campus. The Graduate hotel was right on the college campus. 

I was skeptical. I normally like to stay at name brand hotels like the Holiday Inn, Marriott hotels, and Hyatt hotels because they are the same every time—my expectations are always met. They have the same entrance, consistent bedding, and nice bathrooms. I never liked the idea of trying to exceed my expectations with fear of them not being met. 

Pulling into the hotel I felt welcomed with a fountain surrounded by beautiful stone for people to load and unload bags. As I walked in I noticed a big sign displaying “We are all students” with a vibrant white light. Students from the University of Minnesota studied in the main lobby surrounded by art figures hanging from the ceiling; the walls were covered in gold pieces of art that matched the wood floors.  

We got our room keys and went back to the car to park in the large parking garage behind the hotel. To activate these elevators required your room key, unlike many hotels where you have their basic room key. The graduate gives you an interesting “Student ID” room key that is simple but signifies the unique aesthetic of the Graduate hotel that other hotels in Minneapolis dont have. 

 The pictures on the walls and the bathrooms were unique. I felt like I was in a classical style room with also a comforting modern feel. The comfortable well put together beds were asking for a quick power nap before going to a restaurant closely located near this hotel.

 The night consisted of dinner and the Minnesota Gophers hockey game. These destinations were all located within walking distance. The best thing about the graduate hotel is that it's right on campus, an easy walking distance to the 3M center (Ice arena) or Huntington Bank stadium (Football field). 

After a busy night, the Graduate Hotel served as a relaxing end. We ordered pizza because we were still hungry. It was 12am pick up only which seemed like a hassle, luckily, the hotel was located a couple of minutes away from Dominos and many other food places. The walk was about 3 minutes and on the way we were surrounded by the vibrant city and campus life that the students took advantage of.  

In the morning the sun peered through the windows of the rooms which illuminated the beautiful view out to Minneapolis. I am a morning person and enjoy my morning routine. The bathrooms at the Graduate Hotel provided a nice and easy to use shower with shampoo and conditioner. Below the hotel was a starbucks which was a 1 minute walk from the lobby, this was perfect for my morning caffeine. The morning was simple and relaxing with the services and location of the Graduate Hotel. 

The Graduate Hotel provides a unique location to stay in the city of Minneapolis whether you are there for business, school, or pleasure this hotel is the place to stay at. You will have a unique stay that outweighs any other name brand hotel. The stay at the graduate hotel made my overall visit to Minneapolis an amazing experience.


The author's comments:

I am in the process of looking for a University to attend to continue my academic career, I visited the University fo Minnesota to get a feel for the city and environment. My expectations were exceeded by the Graduate Hotel. This hotel I would stay at again if I were to ever be back in town.