The Social Dilemma Documentary Review | Teen Ink

The Social Dilemma Documentary Review

By Sydneyferst1 BRONZE, Congers, New York
Sydneyferst1 BRONZE, Congers, New York

The Social Dilemma, a documentary about the harsh effects of social media, explains the ways in which social media companies manipulate human psychology and rewrite the human brain. Tech experts warn the general population about what social media is doing to them and what this means for their future.Tech experts explain social media users are being targeted by algorithms and profited off of for big social media company gains. In the end, tech experts beg the general public to delete their social media accounts and live without them, so they don't fall prey to social media giants. 

Before watching the documentary I knew a little bit about social media algorithms, but I didn't realize how much they really affect social media users. I thought these personalized social media feeds were more general, but after watching the documentary I've learned that there is technology that can target every social media user personally. These algorithms have led to an addiction to social media causing suicide rates amog teens to rise. There has also been a spike in mental health issues. The whole time watching the documentary I was wondering, Is anyone going to do something about this? 

I liked how the documentary was laid out and how it was filmed. I enjoyed seeing all the experts they interviewed. A large group of qualified individuals all expressed their opinion on the subject of social media, most of them disagreeing with what it has turned into. Many of these interviewed experts contributed to the social media problem. A lot of them worked for big tech/social media companies and it was interesting to see them rebel against their own creation. Actors were also used to portray the effects of social media. Although the acting could be a little dramatic at times, I liked seeing how the effects of social media could be modeled in a real life situation. I also liked how they used current events to show the effects of social media. Using things like protests, climate change and coronavirus, helped me connect with the documentary better because I understand what it's like to live through those issues. The documentary also used actors to represent the social media algorithm. Those actors were seen picking out posts and ads for a social media feed. I didn't really like this high tech, personification of the social media algorithm. I think it would have been better if they used a more simple representation that wasn't so high tech and complicated. 

I enjoyed watching this documentary and I liked the message they were trying to get across. Personally, I don't think I will be deleting my social media accounts any time soon, but I see how this documentary could persuade someone to do so. 

This piece was written for my Media Studies class. I wrote this review after watching The Social Dilemma documenray in class.