Rent | Teen Ink

Rent MAG

"Let he among us without sin be the first to condemn" is proclaimed in the Broadway musical unforgettable Act 1 finale, "La Vie Boheme." From homeless to homosexuals, "RENT" reflects a variety of people and lifestyles.

The musical's ongoing theme is to forget regret and live each day as if it were the last. The 1996 Tony-award winning "RENT" is a lesson in life. It is a powerful resurrection of Henry Murger's classic love story "La Boheme," made famous in the 19th century opera of Puccini. Daphne Rubin-Vega, who portrays Mimi Marquez, wholeheartedly sings "Another Day," proclaiming living for now and ignoring obstacles.

Having premiered at the New York Workshop prior to its run on Broadway, "RENT" has a minimalist set which corresponds to the poor, who are New York City's East Village artists.

Jonathan Larson, who died from an aortic aneurism the night before its premiere at the New York Workshop, beautifully incorporates diverse musical genres and lifestyles. What has been called the "Hair of the '90s" brings controversial social and political issues to the stage, including sexuality, the financial stress of young artists, and the fight against AIDS.

Each member of the cast, whether playing a large or small role, is extraordinary. Anthony Rapp, who successfully portrays Mark Cohen, the confused filmmaker, is the only actor with professional acting experience. Anthony's interpretation of Mark Cohen is quirky and so genuine that one feels compassion for his lonely and independent character and grows to love and respect him. The 1996 Tony Award winner for Best Featured Actor in a Musical for his portrayal of Angel Schunard, Wilson Jermaine Heredia displays a profound understanding of the sensitivity and spunkiness of his character. Dancing around the stage in platform shoes and striped tights, Wilson is hysterical in his representation of the AIDS-infected drag-queen while singing the techno song "Today 4 U."

Daphne Rubin-Vega and Adam Pascal, who plays Roger Davis, have great chemistry, which creates an emotional moment in the last scene. Adam is compelling as he sings the ballad "Your Eyes" to the dying Mimi. In Larson's revised version of Puccini's "La Boheme," Mimi overcomes her illness.

The hit song "Seasons of Love" which opens the second act is filled with energy and emotion that is transferred from the actors to the audience. This powerful company is only one example of the gripping and heart-wrenching issues addressed in "RENT." .

whatshername GOLD, Carlsbad, California
I love rent and agree with your reveiw =)

cabeyx3 said...
great review :]