Cross Country Actually Exists | Teen Ink

Cross Country Actually Exists

By noahfisher3 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
noahfisher3 SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

"Anything less than your best is the sacrifice of gift."-Steve Prefontaine

The writing titled “Cross Country Actually Exists,” is written by Brooke Boughton, talks about the spotlight on extra-curriculars. In every school, the spotlight will always be on the football or basketball teams, the “money sports.” It’ll never be on the cross country runners who wake up at five o’clock in the morning to run before school, or the wrestlers who practically starve themselves to death to make their weight class, or any of the other sports that don’t make money for the school. We all share the same facilities, the same training grounds, but I, who won the state cross country meet this past fall, still get told by the football players that I lift “pussy weights,” even when that football team finished dead last in the conference this fall. Life Brooke’s school, “Come out to the football game tonight,” you hear it ever week, but you did not hear, “Come support the cross country team at regionals this Saturday.” I too feel as the sport is never recognized for our hard-work and putting the school on the map even though we are considered to be one of the school’s top sports teams.